Walking poles / Norwegian poles

Options
Sooze
Sooze Member Posts: 12

Hi there! I have osteoarthritis and I have been toying w

ith the idea of getting a pair of walking poles. At the moment I get little or no exercise, and common sense is telling me I need to put that right. But my biggest concern is that one of my hips is starting get painful twinges now and then. My question is, if I start exercising more by walking do you think aggravate/ damage my hip , or help it?

Thank you for reading my post.

Sooze x

Comments

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 400
    Options

Hi @Sooze,

First off, I really rate walking poles - light, adjustable, don't sink in grass, spread weight evenly and you look like a pro hiker using them. Will the exercise aggravate your condition? Very likely I'd say but it'll get easier over time. I'd recommend warming up stretches and exercises before you do anything and get your pain management sorted, don't forget to warm down afterwards too, perhaps even a good hot bath of shower and a glass of wine or a cuppa to celebrate!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,469
    Options

Hi @Sooze

I walk almost every day using my walking poles. They do help take some pressure off my joints and back. Also they give some stability.

Mine are quite a cheap make, but they do have a spring in them so that helps. Like suspension.

Exercise is something I really believe in so I really would give it a go in your shoes. Don't overdo it though - build it up gently.

Take care

Toni x

• Sooze
    Options

@jonr

Thank you for your reply and advice. I'm feeling much more positive about it now. 🤔 An early Christmas present perhaps!

Sooze x

• Sooze
    Options

@frogmorton

Hi Toni, thanks for your reply, it's really helpful. All I need to work on now is my confidence haha!

Thank you, Sooze x

• Gorseinonboy
    Options

I’ve been using my walking poles for a little while. I have my first left hip replacement scheduled for February 2024 with other operations to follow. My thoughts are if I build up my walking abilities……very painful but necessary…..and my general fitness, then post operation perhaps the regime of learning to walk again will be easier. Currently, I walk, using the poles for up to a mile a day…….any advice from those of you who have used poles during your post op recovery period?

• gspete
    gspete Member Posts: 1
    Options

Walking poles and Nordic poles are good exercise when used correctly. Nordic poles do not need to be gripped and the hand loops avoid strain on the wrists. Would advise joining a Nordic group to ensure that you are using them correctly.

if you are doing anything adventurous like going over a stile, them be extra careful with any poles.

• Wilyum6
    Wilyum6 Member Posts: 1
    edited 9. Mar 2024, 13:50
    Options

I've used Nordic walking poles for several years both for country walks and walking round sightseeing. I have hip arthritis and sometimes can walk without them, sometimes can walk differently with them (e.g. better balance, faster, more arm movement, more cardio) and sometimes couldn't manage a walk without them (so they are supporting my weight). I keep them in the car, and having the option to walk with or without them has made all the difference in enabling me to go for a walk 4 or 5 times a week.

My tips are to buy the lightest pair you can afford (carbon gives lightness and strength). Choose the right length for your height. The 'gloves' on walking poles mean you don't have to grip/clench the poles all the time. Choose poles where you just press a button to pop off the stick, leaving the gloves on your hands so you are instantly free to open a gate, pay for your coffee, whatever.