Turmeric or not to turmeric

Options
LadyP
LadyP Member Posts: 6
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

So, I have had a RA diagnosis for just over 2 years. Managing quite well on methotrexate and a biologic called Yuflyma. I'm also getting a left knee replacement in January hopefully.

My question is: does anyone know definitively if I can take turmeric if I'm taking methotrexate? My RA nurse no but I know other people with RA who take turmeric tablets!

I'm just curious 🤔

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 222
    Options

Hi @LadyP don't know about methotrexate as I don't take it, but I can say that turmeric does little for me. I tried a course of tablets but felt no different. As with all these complimentary what works for some doesn't for others.

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi @LadyP,

I've done some research and there is very little evidence to say whether you could or couldn't take supplements so perhaps give it a go and if you feel any adverse side effects, stop.

What I will say is that the active anti-imflammatory ingredient in Turmeric is Curcumin but Turmeric contains very little. It's best to source Curcumin blended with Peperine because that helps the body absorb the Curcumin which is not easily digested.