Thumb joint replacement operation

Options
Goodgirl1
Goodgirl1 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

I’m currently taking 150ml daily Pregabalin which doesn’t seem to be easing any pain in my thumb joint. My GP said there is no alternative medication to try as they all have the same effect. GP has suggested I undergo a base thumb joint replacement operation. Can anyone recommend if this is a solution to being pain free and a successful operation.

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 221
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 11. Oct 2023, 15:04
    Options

Hi @Goodgirl1

Sorry to hear that the pregabalin isn't helping with your thumb pain, possibly having a further conversation with your GP about the process of the operation and if he/she know how successful previous operations have been in the past that have been carried out.

Also ask for further information leaflets/booklets about the operation so you are prepared for what will happen, also the recovery process and how long it will be.

This will tell you more about the procedure Royal Orthopaedic Hospital - Trapeziectomy (roh.nhs.uk)

Best wishes

Chris (Moderator)

• LindaJJ
    LindaJJ Member Posts: 5
    Options

Hi I have had a thumb base joint replacement 4 weeks ago. Too soon to advise you but feel free to ask any questions regarding the op and aftercare exercises etc. X

• Goodgirl1
    Goodgirl1 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi. I have a few queries. Can I ask if you had operation by general or via localised anesthetic as I would prefer to have op awake. Also how long did you have to wait for op. Can you recommend operation even though it’s been a few weeks. Thank you.

• McDonaldM
    McDonaldM Member Posts: 2
    Options

I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who has had thumb surgery. I have severe osteoarthritis in both thumbs and it looks like a route I’ll be taking. Thanks

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @McDonaldM and welcome to the Community. There are some comments in this thread already about surgery but you can find others by using the search function (magnifying glass at the top).

If you do end up going down that route I hope it goes well for you. I am in a similar situation and avoiding the surgery option at the moment.

Please jeep posting and let us know how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 530
    Options

Hi @McDonaldM

I had a trapeziectomy on my left hand in 2020 - best thing I ever did and was back at work using a keyboard all day within 6 weeks. Unfortunately I now have other problems with the wrist, totally unconnected to the original surgery.

Trish xx

• McDonaldM
    McDonaldM Member Posts: 2
    Options

I’d be interested in hearing from anyone who has had thumb surgery. I have severe osteoarthritis in both thumbs and it looks like a route I’ll be taking. Thanks