Sleepless Night Distraction Therapies

Options

Hi all

On average I'm only sleeping on alternate nights with my hip pain at the moment and this is with weekly buprenorphine patches and paracetamol before I go to bed and invariably end up downstairs after tossing and turning for hours.

Sometimes I can get comfortable on the sofa/floor (I know I shouldn't but then again it can aid sleep) with classical music on my Walkman and hot chocolate.

When this doesn't work, like this morning, I have been attending the wide awake club since 3 doing my jigsaw and putting bread in the machine for later.

I've actually been comfier using my crutches and standing instead of attempting to sit or lie down.

I have a hip clinic appointment on the 25th and I'm keeping everything crossed that I might get some good news.

So, what works for you when your pain bullies into not being able to sleep? I'm lucky that I'm now retired and can catch up a bit during the day.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 220
    Options

Hi @Trish9556 have you looked at

Hope it helps - I used to be a bad sleeper but then got put on some meds for my anxiety which make me sleep so that helps me now.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 525
    Options

Thanks @Loggiemod

I've tried all of those over the years. My current pain is caused by two bad hips and gluteal tendinopathy in my right hip.

The right hip is the side I've slept on for 67 years and is the thing stopping me sleeping. We all know pain always seems worst at night time. I find sleeping on my left extremely difficult and have been told not to sleep on my back because of bronchiectasis. Post op recovery is always interesting because of this. Pillows and cushions tend to end up on the floor for me to fall over when I get up in the dark so I've given up on those as well.

I could ask for higher dose patches but usually manage throughout the day but I do have tramadol which I can, and do use to top them up at night if I really need to. Hopefully the surgeon will pity me and tell me the end is us sight when I see him this month.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Trish9556
    Options

This is my current sleepless night distraction therapy. Would like to know what you do when you can't sleep. Thanks

Trish xx

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 711
    Options

Hi @Trish9556

I know everyone is different but I read when I can't sleep. I usually have a couple of books on my bedside table but if I still can't sleep - and know I won't - I end up picking up my iPad and catching up with the news to while the hours away. When my PsA first hit 3 years ago I was prescribed amitriptylene to help me sleep which helped but came with downsides.

• N1gel
    N1gel Member Posts: 161
    Options

Hi @Trish9556

Did you know a lot of museums have created jigsaws of their popular paintings etc that you do on-line? Saves losing the pieces! (and you can vary the complexity)

https://www.ashmolean.org/jigsaws (other museums are available!)

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi @jamieA

I do sometimes put my kindle on and use my headphones to listen to my books but when I tell asleep I lose my place and have to rewind. I can hold books or my kindle anymore.

Trish xx

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi @N1gel

Yes thank you. I have done a lot of puzzles electronically but prefer real ones, they're better therapy for my finger's.

Trish xx

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 398
    edited 14. Oct 2023, 21:15
    Options

I take my planning checklist to bed on a tablet. Its so heavy to lift it hurts my arms, then I have to do contortions to turn it on and reach the files. Invariably it's so boring the thought of it sends me to sleep, and I wake up at least two to four hours later having done nothing.

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi @Baloo

That sounds like me prior to retiring last year - if I was in the wide awake club with my arthritis I frequently logged onto my laptop and worked saving all the replies to my bosses emails with my dictation on as drafts until 7.30 a.m.

I still try to do something constructive when I can't sleep, stops me dwelling on the pain and feeling sorry for myself.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options

Lately I have been taking my tablet upstairs with me and rather than go downstairs when I can’t sleep I use my headphones to listen to something which relaxes me.

• Trish9556
    Options

Hi @Airwave!

I go downstairs so I don't disturb my husband but also listen to music/the radio on my kindle fire.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Redlady07
    Redlady07 Member Posts: 25
    Options

I would do puzzles in my head - that way you don't have to move - like name a flower/tree/film/pop group/town in Uk beginning with...and go thru A-Z. By the time you get to W your worn out.....