House shoes

Options

Hi, Sometime ago I think there was a discussion about house shoes being a better alternative to plain old slippers for those of us with osteoarthritis and a replacement hip. I'd be very interested to know if anyone has a make of house shoes that they've found helps or alternatively it'd be good to know if they're a waste of money.

Many thanks, Roger

Comments

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 252
    Options

Hi @RogerBill

I think this is the post you may have seen - lots of posts Shoes! — Versus Arthritis

Hope it helps

🙂

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Thanks @Louisa77 Maybe my memory is playing tricks but I think there was a more recent post which named a few makes of house shoes (slippers) which provide cushioning for arthritic joints.

All I've found on the internet so far is Orthofeet which don't have very good reviews and I can't find any local stockists. Especially as house shoes tend to be a little expensive I'd prefer not to buy anything online and unseen without at least some personal recommendations.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 723
    Options

Hi @RogerBill

A couple of years ago I saw a rheumatology podiatrist who recommended wearing trainers with a wedge sole. She recommended a particular type and brand of running shoe - the type that's causing all these running records to be broken as they have a cushion sole that adds spring to your step. Unfortunately the make she recommended didn't come as wide fit so I didn't buy them but I have been buying wedge soled shoes now - I have skechers slip ons for indoors which I think help.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Thanks @jamieA a good idea. I should have thought of Sketchers because I have a couple of pairs of their walking shoes which are very comfortable. Their only downside is that I find they wear out quite quickly but this wouldn't be a problem with slippers/house shoes.

• Caz8
    Caz8 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi, I've only just joined this group hence the late reply! My podiatrist recommended I wear Birkenstocks instead of slippers and they have certainly helped in my case. Hope this is useful.

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

Moshulu, I think that's the correct spelling, slippers, very expensive but worth it. And Sketchers of course. Kept my feet cosy when I went outside with no socks.