It is very lonely to have osteoarthritis.

Options
simona78
simona78 Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

My name is Simona. I am 77 yrs. I have osteoarthritis (diagnosed by MRI, and X-rays) I have had it for many years... but in the last 8- 10 years it has become very severe. It affects me with constant pain, when I walk, move, try to sleep at night. I love walking and have all my life. So, I do everything I can to keep up the walking. I am learning how to pace myself though because I get easily tired friction of bones. After an active day in town, which I do enjoy. I will end up for 2 days flat on my bed to 'rest my bones.. Am trying to keep up with a few Yoga exercises which I know are effective to keep my legs, core, strong. I look forward t getting meet other people in this community and hope that I can contribute as well as get support for myself. It is very lonely to have osteoarthritis.

Comments

• Hi @simona78

Welcome to our Online Community, thank you for taking the time to join us, we are a friendly group of people and hope that your experience with us will be helpful in the future.

We are sorry that you feel you are alone with your osteoarthritis Simona we can fully understand being in pain can certainly affect how you feel, please remember though you are not alone, we are here to support you. I am just wondering if a support group may help you, it would enable you to talk to other people going through the same thing but face to face, I have added the link below, all you need to do is add your post code and hopefully there will be one in your area.

It sounds like you are doing your best to manage your condition by keeping active and the yoga which is great, I know you have said you try to pace yourself but if you are in a lot of pain for a couple of days after it may be that you are doing too much.

Using heat and ice can be helpful for pain and swelling and you could speak to your GP about Capsaicin cream which is recommended for Osteoarthritis. Also has it been suggested or has you considered replacement surgery there can be a lot of advantages to this, it may be worth speaking to your GP about this and physiotherapy does help.

Best wishes

Chris (Moderator)

• TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88
    Options

I agree that it can seem lonely when we can't take part in all the activities we once enjoyed. I have a weekend trip planned with my daughter to re-visit her college town and do some of the things we used to do, which probably involves a lot of walking (zoo, museum, parks...). I just finished my daily walk with my dogs, which has become embarrassingly short, and realized that I should probably warn her that my participation will likely be quite limited. I will still take the trip, and most likely have a wonderful time, but I may do some sightseeing from the car or find a nice sunny place to park myself and enjoy the surroundings while she explores. As long as I can find ways to keep having these happy times even with increasing limitations, I can still feel a part of things. I wish you the best in finding new ways to live life!

• Jan73
    Jan73 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Simona 78

I agree with you about how lonely it is . I have only recently being diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the hip . I used to love walking but find it so hard now .I'm got a small dog but can only manage to take her short walks. I live on my own and would just love to go out for a long walk. I take naproxen & omeprazole but it only takes the edge off. I wish you all the best and hopefully the yoga will help you

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hi Simona78.

it can be very lonely having Arthritis. Have you any local meet up groups for Arthritis sufferers in your area. The local library might be able to tell you. Hope you find something that will help you feel less alone. Good luck.