Saying Hello ๐Ÿ‘‹

Options
Michelle1189
Michelle1189 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, I'm not new to having arthritis as was diagnosed with Juvenile Chronic Arthritis at 18 months old. It eventually became Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. I had many years on Methotrexate, but took myself off it in my teens as I started to struggle with how much time I was missing off school due to appointments and blood tests and being poorly as the Methotrexate affected my immune system, which meany I constantly picked up bugs.

I've had plenty of steroid injections in my knee and fluid being taken off them, had my time on crutches during flare ups and then things seemed to settle for a while. My right wrist is very twisted and deformed, so I taught myself to be ambidextrous as I couldn't do anything other than write with my right hand. I use scissors and used to play racket sports with my left hand.

Unfortunately both times after having my children I have had flare ups and are currently having a flare up after my second child. I was started on medication after my first child, but once I went back to work trying to keep up with a young child, work and hospital appointments just never happened. I'm now waiting to try get an appointment to see if medication can help me again as my flare up is massively affecting my left wrist, and that's meant to be my good one, shoulder, neck, jaw and knee.

I've never found a support group before as when I got referred to adult rheumatology I was always made to feel like I shouldn't be there. Would be lovely to chat with others that have experienced similar to me and how they cope.

Thanks for listening ๐Ÿ˜

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Hello @Michelle1189 welcome to the online community

We are really glad you have found us after what seems to have been quite a time unsupported since you transferred from the JIA to the adult care system. We are a safe and friendly group who are here to support anyone affected by living with arthritis everyday.

Currently you are struggling with a flare up that has affected your wrist, shoulder, neck, jaw and knee . You are waiting for an appointment and advice about medication. Your life sounds hectic juggling work and family life whilst coping with the pain of a flare in multiple joints.

I attach some links which I hope you will find useful

I have included the last swimming link because it is possibly something that you as a family could do whilst giving your joints some well deserved relief in the water. I found that once I had got over thinking swimming meant actual swimming , I now use the pool as an exercise opportunity to stretch and relieve aching joints.

Our community offers a huge range of life experiences to tap into and I hope that some of our members will post their support with their tips on how to manage a flare up such as yours.

We look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.