Hello

Options
AndyC
AndyC Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Started getting stiffness and pain in my thumb, shoulder, thighs and feet in the summer of 2021, age 34.

Roll the clock on to summer 2023 and I’ve finally been diagnosed with seronegative inflammatory arthritis. Spread to my knees and ring finger now, resulting in pain and swelling. No swelling in my knees or feet luckily.

Been on and off naproxen and paracetamol for nearly 2 years. Just started on sulfazaline. 2 months in and little effect yet, but I’m hopeful. Started on prednisolone yesterday (got enough for 4 weeks) as the stiffness in my upper legs and shoulder is just not easing up and effecting my daily life, and I’m virtual pain free! Feel like my old self. Sounds like I can’t use steroids long term, which is sad, as it works!

have come to this community for advice and shared experiences. And the hope one day I’ll feel my normal self again!

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Hello @AndyC welcome to the online community

You have had pain and stiffness in your joints for a couple of years and take naproxen, sulfazaline and for a short time prednisolone. The steroids are giving you relief and you are hoping to return to normal soon. Like many of us at whatever age arthritis occurs, you are hoping to get back to the life you used to have. We certainly hope that happens, or it maybe that you will have to make adjustments to create a new normal. There are many life stories from our members who have done just that and have shared lots of tips and coping skills.

I attach some links which I hope you will find useful

Many of us have found these exercises really useful, you can do them at your own pace and build up an exercise routine to suit you. We look forward to hearing how you get on as the new medication takes effect and you join in with some of the discussions on the forum.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hi AndyC.

steroids are the magic tablets. It might take a few attempts to get the meds right, and they can take a few months to kick in.

hang in there. I have been taking steroids a while now, but reducing mine each month. I have RA and it’s taken a while to get my meds right, I have a fantastic team at the hospital, who have been so supportive. I never like calling them when the pain is bad, but they always reassure me, and tell me it’s what they are there for. Good luck.