Hello

Options
Ben81
Ben81 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I am new to this forum. My name is Ben, I am 41 and have psoriatic arthritis.

In 2021, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis after the joints in my hands, feet and spine inflamed and were extremely painful.

Since then I have been prescribed with methotrexate, which has allowed me to get back into the gym doing the physical activities I love to do.

In May, I decided to start Crossfit, which is high intensity activities that train all fitness components. This includes heavy lifting, which I was sceptical about given my arthritis. However, the methotrexate has worked so well, I've been able to do it without any real problems.

In the past 2/3 weeks, one of my knuckles has been red and inflamed, as has part of my foot. Not sure if this is down to the weather change or something else.

Anyway, I realise that physical activity is good for arthritis, but I'm not sure if I should be doing any heavy lifting? Or, if it is OK to lift weights, what intensity I should be working at (I.e. the weight I should be lifting). It feels fine, but wondering if the methotrexate is masking any joint damage I might suffer from, later in life.

Any advice on the suitability of someone with PA doing Crossfit (heavy lifting etc) would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ben

Comments