Knowing rheumatoid arthritis

Options
Mya
Mya Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hello my name is Marion and I’ve had rheumatoid arthritis for just over 45 years. It’s a long time! I always thought I was lucky as my appointments were regular and medications helped greatly along with two operations. However, I have found rheumatoid has a nasty sting in its tail. These last few years my feet have caused major problems as well as this I’ve discovered rheumatoid can have some nasty side-effects. I’m really looking to see if anyone else is in a similar situation and can give advice. Hello to everyone Mya

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,047
    Options

Hello @Mya and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have rheumatoid arthritis and that it is now becoming a problem with your feet. Our website has a lot of useful information and I've put some links in below which might be of help.

and you might find the following of help

Please keep posting now you are here and I am sure others will connect with you to share their support and experience as well.

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Password46
    Options

Hi i have recently been diagnosed with moderate rheumatoid arthritis in my wrists and hands. I have referred myself for physio as advised from GP. I have been prescribed ibuprofen 5%gel, i cannot take anti inflammatory tablets as waiting to see cardiologist for heart issues.

I would like advice on how best to manage movement and pains.

Thank you Eileen

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,656
    Options

Hi @Password46 Eileen. I see you have a recent diagnosis, but are waiting for cardiology to see you before starting any medication.

This must be leaving you feeling quite in limbo. Referring yourself to physiotherapy is a great start.

I am going to attach a couple of links which you might find interesting:

and this which is information about Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA):

I hope you'll decide to keep posting and reading other people's posts. This can be an incredibly supportive community.

My best wishes

Ellen.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

Hi @Mya ,

You ask if anyone else is in a similar situation but you don't say what that situation is.

Have you not had RA in your feet before? And what are RA's "nasty side effects"? It can certainly affect our internal organs. Is this what you mean?

The exercises suggested by @noddingtonpete should help. Other than that perhaps an orthotist and surgical shoes. I've been in them for years.

Has your rheummatologist offered anything?

Hi @Password46 ,

Good advice from Mod @Ellen. Keep moving and, when necessaŕy tàke painkillers as precribeď by ýour G P. Hopefully, your rheumatologist will be able to sort out some meds once the cardiologist has sorted out any heart issues.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mya
    Mya Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you and sorry for taking so long to respond. The skin on my feet is thin and shiny and because of the way my toes are now forming I am prone to rubbing and ulcers. One ulcer on my little toe took 62 weeks attending an NHS podiatrist before it healed!☹️I have had open heart surgery and had a valve replaced and one repaired. This has been very successful but I can’t enjoy the improvement it has brought because of the sheer pain I’m experiencing in my feet.. My rheumatology consultant is helpful but it seems waiting lists are long and options are limited.Anyone have suggestions?