Hip replacement, work and money

Options

Hi everyone,

I have just been assessed for a hip replacement due to severe osteoarthritis. I also have fibromyalgia, anxiety and depression, (plus others) and OA in both my knees and hips. I have had a long battle with my GP to get to this point - they kept telling me nothing was wrong and finally they told me it was lumbago and sciatica. I had a fall in October last year, fell on my knee and face but I couldn't get an xray, they just kept saying you'll have to learn to live with the pain. I don't feel I've had any support from my GP as yet and many times I don't go because I fear they think I'm a hypocondriac. I know my consultant has just sent the letter about my assessment to the GP surgery but I don't think anything will progress from that side of it.

I work part time in retail (20 hours) but I'm on my feet for the full 4 hours plus with the buses it adds up to 7 hours on my feet. I've been told 6-8 months for a full hip replacement - where do I start to either move onto ESA (if appropriate). I cannot retire medically as I don't have any pensions - I am 62 yrs of age.

Does anyone out there have any advice for me please. I walk with a stick, I struggle to put my socks on, get in my son's car, tie shoelaces and I havent been able to get in a bath for around 8 yrs or more (yes I do shower daily in case you're wondering). I do get PIP but only the Daily Living Component part of it. I have been refused the Mobility component but yet as I'm sure you all know, mobility is very much affected. Its such a stupid form - what has my hip replacement got to do with folliwing a journey, it doesn't make sense.

I am sorry for the long post but I am in such a quandry over all this, it's stressing me out.

TIA Marge

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 222
    Options

Hello @Marge13 sounds like you are getting a bad deal from your GP. Sadly, you are not alone in this. My wife is currently trying to get to talk to a doctor and getting nowhere.

Anyway can you go back and get re-assessed for the PIP (answering questions as you would feel on a bad day)? I've not had to go down that route yet but can see it coming soon. How about Social Services or whatever they are called? They helped my mother with some household aids to help her around the home. Might be worh a try.

Hope you get some help soon.

Best wishes.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,466
    Options

Hi Marge

Lovely to meet you. Those PIP forms!!! The following a journey bit is for people who might maybe be blind and struggle to get somewhere so need help or even have a severe learning disability/dementia. That's not relevant to you. For you it's how far you can walk mostly that gets you the mobility component.

This article by Citizen's advice (formerly the Citizen's Advice bureau) is quite helpful the bit you are after is called 'The mobility Activities'.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/how-decisions-are-made/#:~:text=To%20get%20the%20mobility%20component,moving%20around

You need to score 8 points for standard rate 12 for enhanced. Not easy at all.

After a period of time you are allowed to reapply for PIP but maybe get some help filling the form form someone like Citizen's advice.

I think you start out on SSP statutory sick pay then after so many weeks (28 I think) it becomes ESA. Again would a chat with Citizen's advice help just to clarify things? Probably you'll need to do this when you have your surgery.

Just out of interest if you have a good employer maybe they will consider enabling you to sit down at work? If they value you they might.

Finally people here have changed GPs they have and successfully too. I know it's a bit frightening the thought. Unless you can ask to see a different GP at your practise instead? If your son is the supportive type (and teh fact he takes you in his car makes me think he is...) maybe he will support you next time you have a Drs appt. We often recommend that here as it's harder to 'fob off' two people.

You take care and keep posting.

Toni x

• Marge13
    Marge13 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you. I will have a look at the info you provided. I have thought about getting re-assessed for PIP so may look into it. I do have a chair at work but I use it to put my bag on to save bending down, I have tried sitting and serving but I can't do it plus we have to walk up and down to do various jobs but thank you.

Think I was a bit all over the place when I wrote this which was silly to write it at that point but I'm going to evaluate all my options and then take it from there.