Struggling with physio?

Options
jonr
jonr Member Posts: 400

I think most of us who've been diagnosed with ankle, knee or hip Arthritis know that Physio is one of the best ways to build strength in tissues and tendons around affected joints. Thing is, some of us struggle to do it either because of pain or out of sheer boredom.

Music may help.

Putting on a tune that gets your feet tapping may do more than you think.

As I write this I've got a fave album blasting out a couple of years ago I'd have danced to, instead I'm tapping my feet and heels and moving my legs around, it's way more and way longer than my physio and I'll bet it's doing just as good for my knees!

Find your thing, whatever works, have fun and who knows - it may just give you something back.

Comments

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 542
    Options

When I was recovering from shoulder surgery and ordered to do physio five times a day, I used the huge box of my favourite chocolates my son gave me to inspire me. Every time I completed a set I allowed myself one chocolate.

They didn't last long but by the time I had finished them I had survived the most painful part, moving my shoulder. I have repeated this on my other shoulder, back and hand!

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• jonr
    Options

I'm a big fan of incentives @Trish9556.

I reward myself with coffee and cake after an hour up the gym, or a beer following a long bike ride. I find the carott is far more effective than the stick!

• Sullivan1234_strang
    Options

I'm attending the physio for my shoulder pain, I'm trying to do the exercises but I'm in agony after for days, don't know whether to keep trying to do them

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 542
    Options

Hi @Sullivan1234_strang

I do sympathise with your shoulder physio dilemma.

When I had my first subacromial decompression in 2011 it was horrendous and that's when I became a fan of the chocolate therapy I posted above - you can use any thing as an incentive.

The exercises I had to do after coming out of hospital involved very tiny movements and they seemed incredibly difficult and really felt like giving up but, we don't give up! If you're really struggling, speak with your physio. It may be that reducing the number of reps you're doing for each exercise will help get over the hump. Don't try to do too much too soon. It's a marathon and not a sprint!

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• jonr
    Options

I agree with Trish - it's hard at the start so I found breaking my physio down into bite sized chunks helped a lot. If I had 20 lunges to do I'd do 10 then the other 10 a bit later. I experimented with pain management to help step that up as well. It will take time but it will get better.