Knee replacement

Options

I was diagnosed with JIA when I was 12. I am now 28 and have been told I need a full knee replacement. Has anyone else had a knee replacement at a young age? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,637
    Options

Hi @Abrowning welcome to the online community. I see from your post that you have had JIA since you were 12 and now at the age of 28 a full knee replacement is needed.

People here have indeed had to have surgery very much younger than the average. I can't remember everyone, but I think I am right in thinking @stickywicket had both of hers done?

This story by Cat might be good for you to read - she also has JIA, has had surgeries and is 32:

I hope you will decide to continue to use the forum and let us support you while you have your surgery.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,469
    Options

Hi @Abrowning nice to meet you.

Quite a few people here have had replacements earlier than they or their consultants would ideally like.

My own daughter had her shoulder replaced at 19. Not desirable, but she/we had no choice at the time.

Like shoulders knee revisions aren't easy, but I'm sure your consultant wouldn't be suggesting it unless they really thought it was the best option.

Ellen has already mentioned Stickywicket now I'm thinking of maybe @lindalegs there are probably many more.

Best of luck

Toni x

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options

Hello @Abrowning, (and hi Toni @frogmorton)

I had bi-lateral total knee replacements in 2000 when I was 41. I had to have a revision of my right knee in 2011 but my left knee has been working well for 23 years now and shows no sign of loosening or failing (touch wood)! I was told you can have 2 revisons and the life expectancy of a prostheis is 10-15 years depending on how it's treated. That was then and things could be even better nowadays!

It does have advantages having surgery at a younger age because you'll recover quicker and you'll make the most of your new knee. One of the reasons I had both of mine replaced during the same operation (a surgeon on each knee) was because of my age and my surgeon knew my body would be able to cope.

I realise you are much younger than I was and understand your concerns as you have a long life ahead of you. No one will force you to have a TKR but you have to consider how badly your knee is currently impacting on your life. Before I had mine done I had got to the point where I was in a wheelchair outside the house as weightbearing was awful and I was terrified of falling and also the pain kept me awake at night.

I was very worried before surgery with all the negatives which go through anybodies mind prior to a major a operation but I was more worried in case, for some reason, the surgery couldn't be done and I would be faced with a lifetime of intolerable pain. I didn't dare think about 'what if it goes right' because I couldn't bear my hopes being dashed! It did go right, I have never regretted having it done and I would go as far as saying it's one of the best things I've done alongside marrying Mr Legs and having our 2 sons!

I hope this helps and wish you well with making your decision and please let us know how you go on.

Love, Legs xx

Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • Jem84
    Jem84 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi, I don’t have any experience of the surgery myself but I’m 39 with osteoarthritis and I’ve just had the news today that my surgeon has recommended I have a total knee replacement of my right knee and some less invasive surgery for my left.

after a bit of research I think it can be favourable to go through this surgery at a younger age as the muscle tone and ability to recover is better.

just imagine the possibilities with a new and better joint!!!!!

i will post my experience as it develops and I wish you all the best in your surgery.

Jemma