Timings of Osteoarthritis knee pain

Options

Hi, do you have any idea why my osteoarthritic knees begin to hurt around 8:30 to 9:00 pm each evening, and then fairly consistently throughout the night whilst trying to sleep, and then, between 5 am and 6am the pain stops completely? It seems as though my body has a timer clock to administer pain, despite the Voltarol, the knee pillow, Tens machine, massager, etc.

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@kevpo

Thank you for your posting on the online community. I am sorry to hear that you are in pain during the night while trying to sleep from the osteoarthritis in your knees.

There are several things that you can do to help get a more peaceful night. These include having a restful routine in the evening such as taking the time to wind down and doing a relaxing activity such as breathing exercises, having an electric blanket so your bed is warm.

It is also important to speak to your doctor to help with managing the pain if you are regularly suffering from disturbed sleep. Below is some further information about sleep and arthritis and osteoarthritis of the knee that has suggestions about getting a good night's sleep and managing your condition. I hope that this is helpful to you.

Osteoarthritis of the Knee

Sleep and arthritis

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor