Hip Replacement NHS or Private

Options
AndyCampbell
AndyCampbell Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

After 2 years with knee and hip OA complicated by other health conditions my NHS hospital have advised me that it could be 2.5 years before I am admitted for a hip replacement. In the meantime, I have serious mobility problems. Tomorrow, I consult my GP to consider my options.

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @AndyCampbell

Welcome to our online forum. We are a friendly group and our members will always try and help with support and information.

I understand you have osteoarthritis in your knee and hip and you have been advised there is a 2.5 year wait for surgery. This must be a very depressing situation for you as you have mobility problems.

From the title of your message I assume you are contemplating paying to have the surgery done privately, and I am sure that there will be some responses soon from people who have made this decision. In the meantime I am posting some links to information on our website which you may find useful.

Do keep in touch and let us know how you are.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi @AndyCampbell and welcome to the Community.

If you live in England, you might have another pathway open to you. I won't go into detail, lest you live elsewhere.

Cheers,

Jon

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @AndyCampbell Two years ago I was faced with the prospect of a similar wait for an NHS hip replacement. I was incredibly fortunate in being in a position to be able to afford a private operation. I'd previously had prostate cancer but fortunately I had recovered from that operation and the follow-up tests had all been clear and I didn't have any other health issues that could have added unacceptable extra risk to the hip op. These issues are among those to discuss with your GP and, as a precursor to the private hip op, I had an appointment with the surgeon which cost £250 and was incredibly useful in helping me decide to have the op. If you have the option of a hip operation it's then a personal choice of improved mobility and quality of life vs risk and cost of the op.