Refused Surgery

Options
Beaufoy
Beaufoy Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hello

Thank you for accepting me in this group. I have had worsening osteoarthritis in my knees for years. A month or so ago my consultant agreed to two partial replacements (PTF) but has changed his mind having studied my recent MRI. He now considers the rest of the joint not healthy enough so a partial replacement now will need to be revised in a few years to come.He will not do a full replacement until my condition gets a lot worse.

I would be interested to hear other people’s experiences. I have had to give up all sport and have constant pain. Whilst not too severe it does get me down but it is the inability to play sport that really gets me down. What I really struggle to comprehend is the messaging from my consultant who persistently maintains that there is a strong likelihood that my situation will be worse after surgery. This is not the experience a get on a regular basis from people I meet who have had TKR. I do of course realise that outcomes are not guaranteed and that there can be complications with any surgery.

Any thoughts, comments, advice would be welcome.

Comments

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @Beaufoy

Welcome to our online forum. We are a friendly group and our members will always try and help with support and information.

I understand you have osteoarthritis in both knees and your consultant has revised his opinion of a partial knee replacement to TKR when your condition becomes worse. As a keen sportsman you are understandably worried about the consultant's attitude, and your inability to play the sports you enjoy.

Have you asked for a second opinion? Perhaps a discussion with a sports physio could shed some light on why the consultant is not more positive. I am posting some links to information on our website which you may find useful until you get some responses from our members.

Do keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi @Beaufoy and welcome to the Community.

I read your post with growing alarm, particularly as I am going in for the first of two total knee replacements tomorrow and to hear I could be worse off afterwards is very worrying!

I think you badly need a second opinion. I too am a keen sportsman and was diagnosed with moderate OA in both knees 18 months ago. Since then my condition has deterorated to be classed as "severe bone-on-bone" . After being referred to MSK I was initially told that because of my age (56) and am managing to keep active cycling, hiking, walking and Swimming I wouldn't be eligible for implants. I argued that it shouldn't take me to be virtually paralysed before further intervention would be considered and as I was doing everything to help myself, I expected the NHS to do its bit in return. "Not how it works, surgery is the absolute last resort". I made an appointment to speak with somebody else who had a totally different view and agreed with me, hence the double replacements and I was fast-tracked to have them done Privately on the NHS.

The other thing to look at is what sport you can do. I had to give up the Running and Badminton I love for other non-impact sport which didn't cause me agony for days afterwards, I'm keeping fit and strengthening the muscles and tendons around my knees, plus helping my mental state so a bit of a win-win-win. Obviously, decent pain management is needed to do that and I've got that sorted via a mixture of prescribed meds, supplements, diet, rubs and Acupuncture.

I don't know if any of the above will strike a chord but if I can be of any help just ask.

Good luck,

jon