METHOTREXATE

Options

What are peoples findings on this drug. Just recently been prescribed it waiting till 5weeks steroids completed

Thoughts appreciated

Comments

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 114
    Options

Works well for me. Took a bit of getting used to, but once my body got accustomed to it, side effects are minimal. It certainly helps control the RA.

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

I started with the tablets and last 7 weeks, awful nausea and vomiting. Moved onto injection but lasted 5 months. I also couldnt take folic acid which didnt help at all.

I'm now on a biologic which has helped.

Mtx wasnt for me.

It took about 6 weeks to notice a difference and about 10 weeks to feel much better

Good luck . Wish you well

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

I started with the tablets and last 7 weeks, awful nausea and vomiting. Moved onto injection but lasted 5 months. I also couldnt take folic acid which didnt help at all.

I'm now on a biologic which has helped.

Mtx wasnt for me.

It took about 6 weeks to notice a difference and about 10 weeks to feel much better

Good luck . Wish you well

• NicolaS
    NicolaS Member Posts: 4
    Options

I’ve been on Methotrexate tablets (6 tables once a week on Thursday night after dinner) for nearly a year. I suffer with nausea, bloating and lack of appetite which has slowly got worst over the months. Fridays are always hard work so I don’t make any plans. My consultant has suggested talking folic acid the day before (We’d) and the day after (Fri) to reduce nausea. Still early days so can’t comment if this helps.

I use a antiseptic numbing spray (used for sore throats) to hide that awful taste you get in the back of your throat, just before bed to help me sleep, otherwise I’m very unsettled during the nights.

I also found brands vary with degree of nausea. I did find one that was better, but unfortunately the pharmacy dispensary is pot luck. I haven’t been able to get it again. It just depends what they have in stock.

I don’t have any RA symptoms on a positive note. Good luck.

• Lexi
    Lexi Member Posts: 2
    Options

Started it a year ago,doing nothing obvious to ease symptoms, trying other medication along side it

• Mollbhan
    Mollbhan Member Posts: 20
    Options

I started with 10 tablets mtx, now reduced to 6 weekly, been taking them for about 4 yrs. no side effects from them at all.

• pianoforte
    pianoforte Member Posts: 26
    Options

hi, I’m new here. Ive been diagnosed with Seronegative arthritis. I’ve been on MTX for 9 months and bio injection for4 months. I’m not feeling better at all. Can’t see any improvement for now. Sorry!