worsening pain since on methotrexate

Options

Hi all, Thank you for letting me join this community.

I've been recently diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. Im currently on 15mg of methotrexate and been taking for 4 months.

I take the methotrexate on a tuesday. after taking the pain in my hands and wrists increases making it very difficult for me to do anything. my best days of reduced pain are sunday/monday, then i take the methotrexate again! and cycle continues.

My Rheumatologist reports this as usual! but kept me on same medication and dose. I’ve been on 4 week course of steroids reducing down from 20mg to 5mg over the 4 weeks to help manage this pain/inflammation.

I have had a slight relief with the steroids but now on a lower dose the pain has increased again after taking the methotrexate.

Has anyone experienced this? i can’t find any information suggesting pain is likely to increase with methotrexate! Not really sure what to do.

I do have a f/up apt on monday with my rheumatologist but don’t feel anything is likely to change in terms of treatment plan.

Any advise would be gratefully appreciated, Thank you 😍

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 798
    edited 27. Oct 2023, 18:06
    Options

Hi @Southie

Welcome to the online community,what a lot you are going through at the moment.

You have an appointment with your Rhumatologists it would be worth it to mention it again to them to reiterate what you are going through.

Here is a link that may help

also this link maybe useful for pain.

Please let us know how you get on and do go onto the forums where you will find a friendly space to chat and air your views and get replys that may help.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Southie
    Southie Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you Christine, 😊

• Scrummycake
    Scrummycake Member Posts: 14
    Options

Hi Southie. I had no pain/swelling in my hands or wrists until I started methotrexate. Prior to that I was on Sulphasalazine but it was becoming less effective so my consultant said it was time for methotrexate. My aches started with a frozen shoulder then aches in my ankles and feet. But after starting methotrexate I felt like I had ants running through my veins and my knuckles swelled. I now have the classic deformed hands and limited movement in my wrists :( I stopped the methotrexate and I definitely feel it made my condition worse.