Osteoarthritis hip replacement query thigh muscle also

Options

Hi, I have been put on a waiting list for a new hip following X-rays. However, I am experiencing no hip pain but a very painful thigh, very tight groin and now knee pain. I can’t walk uphill because I can’t raise my leg enough, I can’t walk very far even on the flat. I can’t get into/out of a car without severe groin pain. My thigh pain started in 2021 when I turned sharply right, my leg stuck in the grass and my thigh muscle seemed to “pop” and the pain was excruciating. My thigh hasn’t been xrayed even though the GP has been told about the original muscle injury. How do I know if I have 2 issues, the thigh and the hip and not only the hip?

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Good morning @Terrydan

I am glad to see you have been put on the waiting list for a total hip replacement.

Your symptoms are almost classic - if you haven't already read this do have a look. The section most relevant to you is 'How will Osteoarthritis of the Hip affect me'.

If you haven't already seen an orthopaedic consultant about your thigh injury you will be able to discuss it with them prior to surgery.

Hopefully some of our members who have had hip surgery can tell you more. If you ahven't already read it this thread by @RogerBill will be very useful to you:

Best wishes

Ellen

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @Terrydan I had a hip replacement two years ago. Unlike many, my problems came on suddenly and changing from being regularly able to enjoy nine mile walks I was unable to stand or walk for more than about 15 minutes. The type of pain I experienced led me to believe it was muscular and I spent months putting loads of time and effort into physiotherapy and exercises even though the physiotherapist had told me at the outset that I had osteoarthritis. This was later confirmed by an x-ray which showed my hip was bone on bone. Fortunately my operation was successful and while I'm not up to nine mile walks, five miles is no problem except for some manageable aches and pains in back and legs.

One other point, I think an MRI scan rather than an x-ray would be used if a muscle problem was suspected. This link has a short summary of each type of scan and their application: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/ct-vs-mri-vs-xray