New member - compression knee sleeves

Options
Nics_knee
Nics_knee Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Greetings! I'm recently diagnosed, thankfully, but now needing ideas for managing pain. I've seen bamboo compression sleeves and would like to know if anyone has any experience of them. Specifically for sleeping and those pains and locking that happens, but also for day to day life when we can't sit down! Thank you

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 280
    Options

Hello @Nics_knee and welcome to the online community.

We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I believe you are enquiring about coping with arthritis the following links maybe of use .......

I have tried compression socks but obviously everyone is different and I could only wear whilst walking not for day to day routine.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will connect with you soon.

With best wishes

@Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Nics_knee
    Nics_knee Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you, I'll check the link.

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398
    Options

Hi @Nics_knee and welcome,

I've used lots of different supports over the last 18 months since being diagnosed. First off, I'd highly recommend a visit to an independent pharmacy as A: they've a lot of choice and B: they'll have a consultation room where you can try a few on for fit and comfort.

In my experience they won't help prevent locking, in fact if they're too rigid they may make these more frequent, particularly if you're doing something vigorous. I did find them helpful when starting out on physio and exercise as they aided stability and the compression was soothing. I have found it's the physio and exercise I've undertaken to strengthen muscles and tendons around my knees which has ultimately made the biggest difference in pain reduction and eradicating locks and tendon "pings" and "stabs". It's taken well over 8 months of daily dedication though.

In summary, aids like knee supports can help you to cope with everyday living and exercise but they won't prevent pain by all means try some and experiment as you've nothing to lose except a few quid.

All the best,

Jon