Hello-looking for advice with hand pain

Options
Creosote
Creosote Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi. I have had arthritis for a good few years now. Initially my feet were the biggest problem and now it’s my hands. They can be very painful but I also feel I can’t grip properly and they don’t ‘work’ as they should. At one point I googled whether I could get my pinkie removed due to pain. . I’ve got Thera putty and physio exercises which I feel sometimes help, sometimes don’t. Does anyone have advice on exercises to try, do the bamboo gloves work, other options, etc? Thanks

Comments

• yaz239
    yaz239 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Hello @Creosote and welcome to the online community!

On this forum you'll be able to find support and advice from other people living with arthritis. The best way to seek support is through engaging on the community, if you feel comfortable of course.

In the meantime, here's some information you may find useful:

Managing your pain | Treatments and self-help (versusarthritis.org)

Exercises for the fingers, hands and wrists | Versus Arthritis

Best wishes, Yas (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• gilly59
    gilly59 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Flare ups in my hands are a nightmare (feet have started to join in too!!). Short course of steroid tablets sometimes calms things down, also steroid injections direct into the joint have given me relief

• CarylW
    CarylW Member Posts: 274
    Options

Hello @gilly59 and welcome to the online forum. I am glad you have found us and are already commenting on other members' posts. I hope you will find it interesting and helpful and will also ask questions of us if you want to!

You may also be interested in exploring our website which you can reach by clicking on the black box top left.

Best wishes

Caryl

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• PJoanne
    PJoanne Moderator Posts: 45
    Options

Hello @Creosote

I have arthritis in my hands too, which I've been trying to ignore but no longer! I've not heard of the putty or bamboo gloves so I will be googling them as soon as 😀

I often just let my hands soak in warm water and find it helps. But of course, its quite impractical .Sometimes I use the ibuprofen gel that comes in tubes.

• gilly59
    gilly59 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Flare ups in my hands are a nightmare (feet have started to join in too!!). Short course of steroid tablets sometimes calms things down, also steroid injections direct into the joint have given me relief

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 715
    Options

Hi @Creosote

I use compression gloves which I think help my hand joints. The gloves keep a warmth in my hands which also helps. I also do hand exercises and use the exercise putty. I've also got issues with my feet and use compression socks - actually plantar fasciitis socks - for my feet. I'd agree that steroids work as well - I was given a general steroid injection in my rump in September which calmed down hand and feet joints.