What can you do after hip replacement?

Options
Nurina
Nurina Member Posts: 286
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

My question is very simple: After having hip/hips replaced, what can you do now that you couldn't do before? Thanks

X

Comments

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @Nurina I can now stand and walk for more than 15 minutes which was my limit before the operation. I used to be able to enjoy 9 mile walks on hilly Cornish coastal paths but now my comfortable limit is about 5 miles.

• Nurina
    Options

Thanks @RogerBill I can't walk more than 3 minutes so 15 minutes would be a dream. X

• Teresapescado
    Options

Not exciting, but thrilled to bits to say I can now do all my housework. Cook dinners, play Wii Fit, cut the grass when it's not raining, I've even done some painting. All those little jobs that became unmanageable whilst I was in agony and pretty much just sitting on my botty all day. I am not one of life's walkers for pleasure but at least I can now do it pain free and I am ensuring my new hip does go out for a daily walk. The best one is not having to say to my granddaughter, sorry love, nanny can't move x

• Nurina
    Options

Thanks @Teresapescado These are exactly the little things I'd like to do without pain. I don't envy money, cars or big houses. I envy my friend that every morning goes for a walk along the river and sits on the grass to draw birds and trees in her sketchbook. X

• Hi @Nurina

Thank you for posting on our Online Community.

The main benefit of a hip replacement would be an improvement in your quality of life, freedom from pain and of course improvement in your mobility.

If you have already had the hip replacement, please take care to start with and listen to your healthcare practitioner and the physiotherapist, try not to do too much to start with. As the other members have expressed it has all been good positive feedback from having the operation.

Hope everything goes well for you in the future.

Best wishes

Chris (Moderator)

• Nurina
    edited 8. Nov 2023, 17:44
    Options

Thanks @chris_li l@Chris_Lily I'm having the hip replacement on February. X