Flare knocks me for six

Options

It’s like I hit a wall yesterday morning. Terrible pain, awful headache, chronic fatigue and could not get out of bed. My wife took me to the GP who thinks I may have a virus. I contacted my Rheumatology team. They think I’m in flare and are speaking to my consultant. They may give me a global steroid injection or an infusion. Really frustrated. I work and have had to go sick and i normally try to keep active while pacing myself. I have not had a flare like this for ages. This disease messes with your life.

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 286
    Options

Hello @StevieB

Totally agree this disease messes with your life 🤦‍♂️

My latest flare up is in my right elbow and wrist amazing how much you take parts of your body for granted without realising.

I have been given steroid tablets for two weeks but no ease yet 🤷‍♂️

You are not alone🙌

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will connect with you soon.

With best wishes

@Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 277
    Options

Yep. Flairs are horrible. This past few days, I’ve had a fair bit of pain, weather doesn’t help mind you.

• StevieB
    StevieB Member Posts: 9
    Options

I’ve been to the Rheumatology unit in the hospital today and had a global steroid injection in my thigh. Should feel the positive affect in the next couple of days. Been advised to stay of work next week and make sure I’m fully ok before I go back.

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 419
    Options

This strange balancing act between growing stronger by resting, or growing weaker by avoiding pain.

• blackcatlover
    Options

Hi StevieB,

I hope you’re feeling a bit better. Can you tell me what a global steroid injection is? I’ve had a steroid injection in my knee before but not heard of a global one, and I have terrible problems with pain and inflammation in every joint throughout winter.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 723
    Options

Hi @blackcatlover

My guess is a general steroid injection - not specific to one joint. When my psoriatic arthritis first hit me the rheumatologists injected my knee and shoulders as they were my worst joints. I think these were 15mgs Kenalog injections. Once my hands, hip, ankle and feet joined in the medics reverted to a larger steroid dose administered to my rump - 80mgs of Kenalog. I've had 8 of these in the last couple of years and 2 didn't really have any positive effect but the rest worked well.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

Yes, I'd say 'global' is the new official term for what many of us have always known as 'bum jabs'. They are given for inflammatory forms of arthritis. The ones into a specific joint are given for OA in that specific joint. I hope yours is staŕting to work @StevieB . And will last a reasonable amount of time. Flares are horrible.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

I would assume global injection is an IM STERIOD STERIOD INJ. basically intramuscular ie in the **** cheek