Starting Methotrexate

Options

Hi there I am due to start on Methotrexate in the next 2 weeks and I was going to ask to go onto the injections straight away rather than the tablets due to a weak and sensitive stomach.

I was just curious if anyone still got really sick taking the injections, I am not sure what dosage I will be starting off on but really nervous about feeling sick for days.

Thanks

A

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Hello @Atrainor83

I too have been advised I may have to start taking Methotrexate soon.

My brother takes and injects as he found it easier on his stomach. I am steering towards injections but still investigating and questioning people.

Sadly everyone different but the following link maybe of use.......

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will connect with you soon.

With best wishes

@Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Gadgetgirl
    Gadgetgirl Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hi there. I take the injection but this was only offered to me after trying the tablets, which caused me too many gastro issues. I am fine on the MTX but it’s not working so well now after being on it for several years. If there is one piece of advice I could give and that would be to keep fit and do weight training. This will help strengthen your muscles and bones.

• Emmasknackeredjoints
    Options

I had the tablets and had to stop after 7 weeks, I think you don’t get a choice, unfortunately the tablets are cheaper you so have to start with them

the injection was ok to start, but had 5 months of horrendous nausea and vomiting so off that now to

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I, too, think it's unlikely you'll get a choice BUT I've been on tablet meth for years with no problems despite NSAIDS wrecking my stomach years ago and needing to take lansoprazole each morning and gaviscon at night as a consequence. Meth works well for my RA and doesn't trouble my stomach.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright