Raised toilet seat

Options

Hi,

I've read here, I don't remember where, that some doctors currently don't recommend a raised toilet seat after hip replacement. I was about buying one but, what are your thoughts? I'm more concerned about coming back home from the hospital than the surgery itself.

X

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 398
    Options

It might have been me. At my pre-op I was told that I wouldn’t be given a raised toilet seat as they now preferred us to get back to normal asap and that when I went out I wouldn’t have one so best to be used to it. Apparently they used to recommend them to avoid dislocations but apparently they rarely see dislocations now as the surgery is towards the back rather than side. I think that’s what she said?

Of course it may be different in different hospitals? I did wonder about size - I’m just under 5 foot 4 inches but would it be the same for someone much taller?

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 306
    Options

@Janlyn Thanks for your explanation. I'll ask about it at my preop. I don't have a clue about anything, that's why I'm asking too many questions, sorry. I'm 5' 3" and it's not like I need to bend too much my legs 🚽 Maybe I'd have more difficulties trying to climb up the raised seat 😂 and about pain, it can't be worse than now.

I think the trend now is to make the recovery as natural as possible, getting up in hours, trying not to use crutches to have a normal life asap. My mum had the hip replacement back in the 90s and I remember she was in bed for weeks with the triangle foam between legs and the compression tights to avoid dislocation, with daily blood thinner injections and strong painkillers that made her feel dizzy. She used crutches for months. I don't remember a raised seat at home.

Big hugs

X

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options

You'll be given all the info you need at your pre-op. If you have questions, ask there.

Between Mr SW and myself we have four THRs. Mine were both done with a posterior approach. He had one posterior and one lateral. I think recovery is usually quicker with a lateral but they're not suitable for everyone. Your surgeon will decide. It might be that surgeons using a lateral approach don't insist on raised loo seats but, for most of us patients, they're necessary. How big? Well, for post-op chairs, I think we have to measure between knee and floor so presumably the same. Try not to fret in advance. The pre-op is your friend😆

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Nurina
    Options

Thanks @stickywicket Good advice.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223
    Options

Hi @Nurina I had a posterior hip replacement and was given a raised toilet seat. However, with the bruising from the op I found it really uncomfortable. I immediately decided to buy one with arms to help getting up. Maybe most don't need the arms but for me they really helped.

• Nurina
    Options

Thanks @RogerBill I think I'm having the posterior approach too. I'll wait until the next meeting with the doctor. Last time I saw him he told me about the surgery. I was too much confused and I couldn't ask him anything. I'll write all these questions for next time. X

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

I got given a raised toilet seat. Don't know how long for. Mind you my hip was so painful before, I could've done with one then!

My friend who has problems with her knees, one has been "washed out," bought one anyway, her knees are very stiff and she has trouble bending them.

• Nurina
    Options

Thanks @swimmer60 !