Methotrexate

Options
Chinachow
Chinachow Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, I'm a newbie on here.

I am due to start on Methrexate on Monday but after reading information I am going to try and put it off as I am going on holiday and the medication says to stay out of sunlight. I feel scared to go on this medication, I do quite like a red wine and thats restricted too. Also I suffer from cold sores and am worried I'll be plagued with them after starting on the meds.

Any help or advice welcome.

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 758
    Options

Hello @Chinachow welcome to the online community,

You are due to start MTX on Monday and are concerned about sunlight, alcohol consumption and cold sores. You have come to the right place for many of our members , me included, have taken MTX for years and for most it works well. Of course taking precautions in the sun with a high factor sun cream and sunglasses to protect your eyes is a given. My consultant years ago said that a small amount of wine should not be a problem so I reckon you may enjoy your glass of red in moderation. Cold sores and mouth ulcers are reported by some as side effects of MTX , often your GP will prescribe Folic Acid to be taken to help with this problem.

I attach some links which I hope you will find helpful

We are a friendly group who provide a safe place for people to share their experiences of living with arthritis , so do look round the discussions and activities on the forum and we look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.