Lower back pain

Options
Junie
Junie Member Posts: 20
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi Everyone

I have been suffering with lower back pain for some time, I went to see the practice nurse, she said it was muscular, and gave me appointment for a physio, I went to see him, he told me to excercise and gave me an excercise sheet to help lower back.

i do walk every day, today I bent down to pick something up, and the pain was unbearable, It was so painful , I am now lying with a heat pad , on my back and rubbed in volterol, also took pain killers.

Does anyone know if the back massage belts help, if so what would you recommend.

many thanks

junie

Comments

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 298
    Options

I've found out recently that my lower back pain radiates from the hips but much before the diagnosis, I thought it was muscular tightness. I like yoga for back pain from FitOn app, which is free and it helped me a lot. Restorative yoga exercises are good too. The psoas muscle runs from the lumbar spine through the groin. If its tight, sometimes causes lower back pain.

• Junie
    Options

Hi

yes it radiates to my hips,

will look at the app, just researching the massage belts,

thanks so much for your reply

Junie

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 298
    Options

If you are interested, the exercises are "Bye bye back pain" and "Get your back back". I hope they help. X

• Junie
    Options

Hi Nurina

just downloaded the app

thanks so much x

• Ericchris
    Ericchris Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi All,

I’m Irene, a 67 year old ex teacher with one sided pain coming from my lower back. It affects my shoulder neck and arm and also stops me walking far. I also suffer from Migraine and am having problems with this at the moment as I’m having to take strong medication in order to keep it under control. Anybody else suffer from a one sided back arthritis?

• Ericchris
    Ericchris Member Posts: 4
    Options

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 799
    edited 10. Nov 2023, 16:03
    Options

Hi @Ericchris

Welcome to the online community,great to see you posting.

You ask if anyone suffers from the same as you onesided back arthritis.

Everyone on this forum have various forms of arthritis and so understand what you are going through,you dont say which arthritis you have it would be good to know so we can help you more with information.

Here is a link that may help

Please let us know how you get on and do continue to chat to others on the forums it really helps.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Almawood
    Almawood Member Posts: 1
    Options

I have had a lot of different treatments on my back with no success at all.

I am in constant pain.Any help would be appreciated.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,644
    Options

Good Morning @Almawood

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community.

I see you are another person who has presumably lower back pain.

Chris R has already attached a link about back pain but I am going to attach one about managing pain per se it has got some useful suggestions in it:

It looks like you, @Ericchris @Junie and @Nurina might be able to support one another with this debilitating condition.

My very best wishes

Ellen.

• MoiraA
    MoiraA Member Posts: 15
    Options

Does anyone who has experienced back pain been given an injection from rheumatology and did it help? I know they give steroid injections to reduce inflammation but wondering if they give injections to relax the muscles and stop them going into spasms? What pain relief tablets did anyone find help for back pain? Thanks.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 723
    Options

Hi @MoiraA

I have been prescribed capsaicin cream and lidocaine patches for my joint and back pain in the past. However it appears the make of capsaicin cream the NHS has approved isn't available now. There are plenty of other brands available online but I don't know if they are any good. I now use lidocaine patches on my lower back as my sacroiliac joint has been affected by my psoriatic arthritis. They certainly work for me. They are expensive to the NHS at £75 per box of 30 and I had one GP who baulked at prescribing them.

• MoiraA
    MoiraA Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hi Jamie. Thanks for your kind reply. I haven’t heard of these patches so will check them out. £75 is nothing if it gives you relief 😉