Rheumatoid Arthritis and applying for jobs

Options

Looking at the usual posts, my question is a little different but I'm hoping someone may be able to help. 

I was diagnosed with RA in 2020 at the age of 21. 

I am currently applying for jobs in a competitive field and on many applications it asks if I have a disability or sometimes only have positions for people from under-represented backgrounds or that have a disability. Having RA, I never know how to answer this question. 

Looking at me, you may not know but occasionally I do struggle with flares and can't always do things other people my age can because of RA. 

I have googled this, but most searches offer conflicting answers. Some say it applies to anyone with a long-term health condition which I would say RA is but some searches say it depends on the severity. 

I would like some advice as I wouldn't want to be given an opportunity based on having given an employer incorrect information. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Hello @cmadge98 and welcome to the online community.

We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand your concerns about work I am a lot older than you and suffer with RA to and like you have flare ups which are unpredictable.

I contacted my local welfare rights department through council website who advised me on benefits and support. I want to and hopefully will return to work when and if my conditions get more manageable in the future with help and guidance from my advisor🤞

The following link maybe of use to.........

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will connect with you soon.

With best wishes

@Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Nurina
    Nurina Member Posts: 285
    Options

I've had RA my whole life and I've never applied to a company as a disabled because I really didn't feel I was a disabled. I could do everything that other do, even better. Companies have the obligation to fill a percentage of their positions with people with disabilities or underrepresented. It's up to you but in my opinion a company would be happy to hire a disabled person like you. If life gives you lemons, make lemonade. X

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Thank you for information @Nurina

I love your attitude and approach to RA 👍

I love your quote too😍😍

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 73
    Options

Hi employers have a duty to make reasonable adjustments not sure what line of work you are looking at. I used to interview people also if you have a occupational health assessment at start of job it will be noted. I know some jobs may not be so supportive but they are not allowed to discriminate