Carpal Tunnel and TENS machine

Options
SueLyn
SueLyn Member Posts: 21
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi, just want some advice. I have OA in both hands, don’t take meds. I have CT in left wrist only. I just wondered if anyone here has used a TENS machine before for CT and found it affective? I wake up in middle of night and a few fingers are numb, some tingling too. I’ve seen my GP many times doe as vice but all I have been given are some exercises to do, which I do do. I’m thinking of getting some putty balls on Amazon and wondered if anyone has any recommendations. The numbness by they way is during night and has usually gone by morning, but I just want something to relieve it. Thank you

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,633
    Options

Hi @SueLyn

Don't know if it would help but I have some hand/wrist splints which I wear at night. They hold my hands and wrists in the right place so that they do not go numb. Without them I have to dangle my hands out of the bed towards the floor and swing them around until it passes. Often more than once a night.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• SueLyn
    Options

Ellen, it’s funny that you mention you put your arm out of bed and let it dangle, I do same thing.

I’ve had various splints over the years but can never find the right one that makes it help. Can you recommend a good splint for carpal tunnel that you find is effective as there are so many.

I do wear compression gloves at night but must admit their not 100% effective.

so Ellen you have CT too, do you have OA as well?

any advice would help. I’ve ordered a putty ball from Amazon to use to see if it makes CT better. I couldn’t believe it when my gp told me CT can go away but I’ve had it for years and it hasn’t

• Ellen
    Options

Yes @SueLyn

I have OA and Inflammatory arthritis too.

I know I can make my Carpal Tunnel worse by sewing/knitting things like that, but I have had it for many years now.

The splint I have is whole hand, fingers out job a bit like this one in this information by Sussex NHS

The important thing I think is the metal bit inside it which keeps the wrist/hand in the right position. Without it I am one for bending my wrists in my sleep and setting it off.

I am pretty sure a really good pharmacist could advise you.

Do let us know how you get on.

Best of luck

Ellen.

• SueLyn
    Options

Thanks for this, my wrist is about 16 and a half to 17cm, so not sure if it needs to be tight or loose the splint. Did it realise it goes half way down your arm. The one I have stops at my wrist, so perhaps defeats the object of it, I need to look for a longer one. I will look at the site you suggest and see if I can find my size. Many thanks

btw I went on Amazon today and bought a soft putty ball which I can squeeze now and again to help it.

• Ellen
    Options

Mine definitely goes part of the way down my arm.

Do please feed back whether the exercise putty does any good @SueLyn

Best of luck

Ellen.

• SueLyn
    Options

Ellen, I will do. Actually it’s a ball not putty sorry, never used one b4 but want to try it. Btw I contacted that company you suggested to find out which splint is best for me and also about sizing. Do they charge delivery?

• SueLyn
    Options

Ellen forgot to ask does it make yr arm sweat.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,453
    Options

Hi @SueLyn

I am on the menopause and do have hot flushes unfortunately at night. My wrist/hand splint is like the one in the NHS link and I do sometimes take it off (hangs head) but I also chuck off the duvet!

Mine does have little holes in it.

Going to send you a PM so look in your in box.

Toni x

• SueLyn
    Options

Manŷ thanks Toni appreciate your comments, will look in inbox. sue

• SueLyn
    Options

Ellen just received my Orange therapy ball thru Amazon, going to try using it once or two a day, will see if it improves things. Worth a try I guess. Can send you an email to say which one it is, as csnt advertise here I think.

• Ellen
    Options

Thanks for the update @SueLyn

You can absolutely let us know if the putty is helpful publicly - it might help other people. Sort of 'over the garden fence' recommendations are fine.😊

It's just direct links to sites which are best avoided.

Best wishes

Ellen