Leflunomide and Sulfasalazine

Options

Anyone any experience of taking these two drugs for Inflamatory Arthritis? Pretty new to this having tried Methotrexate and it not working. So far only experience a bit of joint ache?

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @erica3105

Thank you for posting on the Online Community. I am sorry to hear you are struggling with inflammatory arthritis and Methotrexate wasn't the right medication for you. It can be a worrying time when you are first diagnosed and I hope our community will be a friendly and supportive space.

Leflunomide and Sulfasalazine are both in the same family of Disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs). I hope these will be more effective for you. As with Methotrexate, they can take up to 12 weeks to work. These medications help to re-balance your overactive immune system and help to control the disease process itself, not just treat the symptoms. Unfortunately, there are sometimes side effects with these drugs. These vary from person to person. You should be monitored closely by your rheumatology team. If you experience any new symptoms or you are worried about possible side effects, it is important that you contact your rheumatology nurse helpline as soon as possible or email the team if you are struggling to get through. Sometimes the dose needs adjustment or the medication needs changing.

If you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence, you are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 9am - 6pm weekdays.

If you would like to have more replies to your post, you are welcome to repost on our Living with Arthritis forum which is another source of support to ask questions and share experiences with others facing similar challenges.

I hope the information given below will be of some help.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor 

• Kevin1971
    Kevin1971 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi All i been diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis for the last couple of years now. Started on me Methotrexate and then moved on to Sulfasalazine and hydrochloride and still in pain in my joints and zombie hands where i have stiffness all the time. The rheumatology nurses and consultant were going to put me on Leflunomide but so far nothing has been done. This is effecting my mental and physical ability and also effecting my work. Its so soul destroying and getting me down my hobbies have been put on hold at the mo and dont know what to do.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Kevin1971

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling with your condition and that it is affecting you in so many ways both physically and mentally, unfortunately we hear this a lots so please don't think you are alone with this.

Our advice would be to try to keep chasing for that appointment with the consultant as much as you can, possibly see if you GP can help speed up an appointment for you as well, explain to your doctor how much your condition is having an impact on your life and see if they can do anything to help you.

Best wishes

Chris Helpline Advisor