Toxic doctors put patients at risk, says NHS watchdog

Options

Something many members of this community know all too well, and the chronic nature of our condition makes it worse. The article even mentions things we have discussed here, including the classic “Lessons have been learnt”, but never are, and the same mistakes repeated.

Full Times article here:

https://apple.news/AXyKbigwWS2WM86oVEpHQwQ

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    Options

Here here @Arthuritis

Quite a sad read I look forward to the Time Health Commission's report being published.

As you said a lot of us have been on the receiving end of poor care.

Hope you are at least doing ok?

Toni x

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

A good article @Arthuritis

The most hurtful statement a Doctor can say to a patient in pain is "You have Arthritis *insert patients name" and you must get used to be living in pain for the rest of your life there's nothing I can do".

I think that resonates with most people with any form of Arthritis who have experienced a bad doctor. It really upset me when our lead GP told me that very phrase.

It also hurts when a consultant tells you that there's no reason why you're in such pain as if to say it's all in your head. This pain is not all in my head and I've come to you to diagnose and fix whatever is causing it.

I think my big rubber mallet is going to get a lot of use over the next few weeks and one consultant is going to be told that it's up to him to diagnose and fix my chronic pain.

It would be really good if the Time Health Commission came up with something that people took notice of, it would be nice if Doctors and Consultants LISTENED to otheir patients instead of letting out words and tears go over the top of their heads without hearing any of it.

It would be nice if things changed but I'm not holding my breath.

Hope you're doing OK

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• frogmorton
    Options

Hi Trish get that mallet out 😂

best of luck with the consultant seriously and ((())) for you

Toni x

• Trish9556
    Options

@frogmorton

Thanks Toni, I'm reserving judgement on the mallet until the 5th December when I've seen him again. I had another injection into my hip on the 7th and this one is proving more effective than the last so he might have to eat his words!

I hope you're doing as well as can be?

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• frogmorton
    Options

That's good news Trish. (@Trish9556 )

Ok we'll put the mallet away for now😊

I'm not doing too bad at all thanks.

Take care and good luck

Toni x

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 444
    Options

@frogmorton @Trish9556 … hiya! Thanks for the kind wishes! I am well and had my ultrasound scan on my hands and wrists at the teaching (but not learning) hospital last week. U/S showed no trace of RA, and apparently these are the most sensitive indicators of RA. Maybe, as when I first came to see them I could not bend my fingers, my hands could barely hold anything and the ultrasound taken in 2021 showed RA. Blood tests for RF & ACCP still ultra strong positive for RA.

So the big boss Prof, says, I still believe you have RA. But I won’t prescribe anything as you show no signs of ACTUAL RA.

Me: “Aren’t you in the least bit curious why not, and the prospect of helping other patients?”

Prof: Nope, we have other patients like you. We can only treat the way NICE tells us we can treat, following extensive clinical trials and studies, so the anomalous experience and results of patients such as you are irrelevant.

Me: So why are we not being studied? This is a teaching hospital is it not?

Prof: Shrugs. We deal with actionable situations within NICE rules.

Me: (thoughts to myself… I think NICE would benefit from Trish’s magic mallet, highly educational, and then sack the lot). 😂🤣

• frogmorton
    Options

"Me: (thoughts to myself… I think NICE would benefit from Trish’s magic mallet, highly educational, and then sack the lot). 😂🤣"

Brilliant @Arthuritis

Great news though that you have no active RA at the moment. I take it you are still doing your own bit, healthy eating and drinking exercise etc?

Yes it's always hands first I take it you will still be 'monitored'? Feels like you are living on a knife edge waiting.....

Take care

Toni x

• Trish9556
    Options

Here you go @Arthritis

I think a triple whammy of all three would be in order for your rule obeying uninterested professor!

I suspect I may have to bring these out next week when I go back to the private surgeon I was referred to under the freedom of choice thingy..

He couldn't see any possible reason why I'm in chronic pain in my hips. The one that doesn't is apparently a million times worse that the one that does he's not "impressed" by the gluteal tendinopathy or the masses of scans I had that caused so much pain. He also implied that as my first injection did nothing it can't be my hips.

So he game me another injection. This one has had an effect (different person, different hospital doing it) so what is he going to say? I've deliberately stopped the patches that game me so much relief to test this one. Not totally pain free but better

Will this change his mind? I doubt it. He didn't seem interested at all in finding the cause a month ago and I suspect that will be the same.

I shall have to wait and see

Have they looked at Dupuytren's where the hand contracts? My wonderful hand surgeon suspects I have that very mildly but it's not progressed.

We both need answers like many if us on here and being stifled by stupid NICE rules and regs doesn't do anything for researching and progressing the understanding of joint problems and how to treat them.

I hope you get some answers soon and are not left in yet more pain?

Love. n ugs

Trish xx