Methotrexate and olbas oil

Options
Ariana
Ariana Member Posts: 29
edited 22. Nov 2023, 10:36 in Living with arthritis

Hi all, I’ve had a nasty cough and cold for over a week and now my nose seems really blocked up and I’m wondering if it is safe to use olbas oil as a decongestant. Lots of people have said you have to be extremely careful what you take for colds and coughs if you are taking methotrexate. This has made me quite cautious about what I take but it would be lovely to breathe at night😊. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

I think you're very wise to be cautious. Life can be hard enough without drug interactions..To be honest, I can't believe olbas oil would be a problem but, my go to source for such info is always my local pharmacist. They are very knowledgeable. They'd also be able to say which OTC meds are OK. Personally, I stop my meth at the first sign of any infection to allow my immune system to fire up and fight it. But I've been very stable on meth and hydroxy for many years. I'd get advice from your rheumatology helpline before trying that. You don't need a flare. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Ariana
    Ariana Member Posts: 29
    Options

@stickywicket thank you for some sound advice. I phoned the helpline and they advised me to stop my methotrexate. On another issue as you have been on methotrexate for a number of years, can I ask if you still have to have blood tests? I have to have blood tests every month at the moment. My question is, are they testing for the same thing every time you have a blood test? It all seems a bit of a mystery to me and I’d like to get more knowledgeable. Where I live you can’t ask the helpline nurse for blood test results but if I have a phone appointment I usually ask but these phone appointments are not a regular thing.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 133
    Options

I'm now on blood tests every 3 months (which is done at the GP) and my understanding is that it is the same each time and they are keeping an eye on how your liver is coping with the MTX. I've now been on MTX 1.5 years.

And this has reminded me to phone to book my blood test!

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

@Ariana , I now have my bloods done every three months. They do test for the same things every time. I can't remember all but I do recall haemoglobin levels, liver and kidney functions and platelets. We used to get booklets in which the results were recorded but that doesn't happen now. However, my GP has been excellent at contacting me if there have been any blips - invariably low haemoglobin with me. Then bloods are more frequent until I'm stabilised again.

Don't ever assume all is well, though, just because you feel fine. It doesn't necessarily workthat way.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 73
    Options

I was told can use nasal sprays for congestion when I asked. My bloods are uploaded to a website with all appointments called patient knows best on the same day blood is taken it is quite good as you can compare results and there are explanations of the tests. I have a booklet at the moment but may not get another as on line.Hospital do my bloods and then shared with GP.

• Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 73
    Options

Do you get iron supplements when low? mine seems to have started at the lower level of the range. Can they see your b vitamins levels or is that a separate test