Newcomer

Options
Nasus
Nasus Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

I’ve just recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and it’s a bit of a shock!! I have been quite active and walk at least 10,000 steps a day but last couple of months pain had prohibited my activity. I do still walk every day with my dog but it’s not so much fun.

Be nice to learn about how to manage discomfort of this change in my health. I know there will be others out there who are suffering more than me but have found ways to live full, happy lives. Cheers!!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 22. Nov 2023, 10:40
    Options

Hi @Nasus

Welcome to our Online Community, thank you for taking the time to join us, we are a friendly group of people who hope that you experience with us will be helpful in the future.

I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis (OA) and yes, it's understandable that it is a shock being told that you have an arthritis condition can be very daunting and will take time to process this and this will not happen overnight. Please remember keeping active is an important part of managing this condition, you may need to adjust the way you do things and learn to pace yourself. You will still be able to do the things that you enjoy, walking your dog's etc.

I've enclosed some info about the condition and some exercises/stretches

Best wishes

Chris (Moderator)

• janiebin
    janiebin Member Posts: 53
    Options

Hi @Nasus

Dog walking is a great form of exercise both for you and the dog, but if it is not so much fun because of the discomfort that the OA gives you, maybe you need to find a form of exercise that is just for you. Cycling , swimming, yoga, Tai Chi, gardening, there are loads of ideas under Sports and Hobbies. Good luck

Janiebin