Right or wrong working with osteoarthritis

Options
chelseasue
chelseasue Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone

new here was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in both hips nearly 2 years ago, I work full time as a carer in a home and rent privately so I have no choice but to work my workplace is great I can use my crutch at work as I tend to lose balance and I have a rest day between shifts. I am on 2 tramadol, 2 naproxen plus omeprazole, 3 nefopam and upto 8 paracetamol a day which is a lot but it helps the pain. The problem is because I don’t take time off work the doctors think I’m managing to do what I do … but the truth is I just can’t afford not to work but I always end up feeling like a fraud after an app …friends say I think I’m a superhero but I’m not I will not give in to the pain unless I have too .. it’s at the point now I think there is no use in taking to them only for my medication.

Sorry for the long rant but it’s good to vent with people that will understand.

Thank you for having me

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @chelseasue welcome to the online community

You never need to apologise for having a vent, we are here to listen and support you because we do understand.

You have severe OA in both hips and are managing to work but finding it exhausting . You are putting a lot of pressure on yourself, do you think that maybe having been brave enough to share your story with us you might take a moment to rethink your situation. Your condition, your work, your accommodation, your lifestyle.

There is a lot of information available to help you about health, work, finances and we can point you in that direction. Would it be helpful to talk to our Helpline they are able to offer advice and are available on 08005200520.

You have not mentioned your health team, have you had a review of your condition with your GP recently ? Would it be helpful to do that?

I attach some information about pain management and some exercises to help with hips mobility.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/

We are glad you found us and hope that we can continue to support you. Do join us again soon.

Best wishes

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.