Recently been diagnosed

Options
Cara123
Cara123 Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:11 in Living with arthritis

Hello,

I have recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, although the rheumatologist was a little unsure at first whether it might be psoriatic arthritis.

He wants me to start medication (he mentioned Methotrexate) but I am very frightened of taking it. I have read about severe side effects. My arthritis symptoms are fairly mild and reading about some of the potential side effects of the medication causes me a lot of anxiety.

Comments

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 252
    Options

Hi @Cara123

Welcome to the Online Community, we are a supportive friendly group here.

You've recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and have concerns about the medication methotrexate. I understand your concerns as it can be daunting with the side effects mentioned but please remember not everyone get these. Here is some info Methotrexate | Side-effects, uses, time to work (versusarthritis.org) you may have seen this already.

Also bear in mind there are other DMARDS if you don't get on with this one.

Best wishes

Louisa (mod)

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Fif
    Fif Member Posts: 114
    Options

You say your symptoms are fairly mild which a good reason to start taking medication ASAP. Rheumatoid arthritis is progressive and the sooner it is controlled the less damage it will do. Methotrexate is very often the first drug offered and as Louisa says many people, myself included, rely on it to keep the disease under control. I did experience a few minor side effects initially but nothing to worry about and now don't have any problems at all. I'd give it a go and if you do feel it's not working for you, ask to try something else. All drugs have side effects and everybody reacts differently but it is important to minimise the effects of RA to avoid further problems. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Cara123
    Options

Thank you very much for your replies. I have read that Methotrexate can damage lungs and your liver - is this monitored closely to make sure there aren't any long term effects?

• Gstrings
    Gstrings Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello, Thank you for allowing me to join your site.

I too am new to Methotrexate and folic acid for rheumatoid arthritis R/A, and don't know what to expect.

Before this R/A I played guitar and ukulele, and now with pain and closed left hand I don't know what the future holds for me.

I have COPD, so concerned about Metho. effect on lungs.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

• Cara123
    Options

One of my big fears about Methotrexate is feeling nauseous or being sick as I have a phobia about this.

• Gstrings
    Gstrings Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello, Thank you for allowing me to join your site.

I too am new to Methotrexate and folic acid for rheumatoid arthritis R/A, and don't know what to expect.

Before this R/A I played guitar and ukulele, and now with pain and closed left hand I don't know what the future holds for me.

I have COPD, so concerned about Metho. effect on lungs.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Gstrings