Long standing RA and aging

Options

I have just turned 67 and have been taking 15mg methotrexate per week for 25 years. My RA has been well controlled for 10 years and it has been suggested by my rheumatologist that I consider reducing my Mx dose. I am reluctant todo this and risk a flare but I wondered if people have found that their long standing RA has diminished as they have got older? PS I now have elements of OA of course!

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 221
    Options

Hi @Cyclistkate did the doc give any reason for reducing it? Just wondering if it one of these medicament balancing acts. If you are fine with it as it stands I would gracefully decline, but check first why they want you to reduce it.

• Cyclistkate
    Options

I have declined for the moment, but the plan is to review it in 6 months. They didn’t give a reason but I will ask at my next appointment.

• Rina
    Rina Member Posts: 85
    Options

Hi @Cyclistkate, I’m 66 and have had RA for over 50 years. I’ve been in remission twice in that time when I’ve reduced my meds, then several years later have had to up them again. The last time I had to up them was seven years ago and since then it’s been pretty stable ( I’m on hydroxychloroquine). It is a balancing act between risking a flare and not wanting to take too many meds, but I’ve always been keen to reduce my medication when I can.

Rina 😊