Osteoporosis

Options

Hi, I have Osteoporosis in my lower spine, I have consulted an Osteopath who has told me that the pain I'm experiencing is because I tighten my body through fear of the pain. I cannot walk normally for fear of the sudden agonising pain in my lower spine, However if it happens when I am tense, then why can I not move when completely relaxed in bed? I really can't work out if the pain is actually because of the Osteoporosis or something else, no one has been able to tell me and this is completely destroying my life, I don't know what to do anymore.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,045
    Options

Hi @Kimmo and welcome to the Community. We are friendly and supportive and I hope that will be your experience as well.

Have a look through the following and see if it is of help.

and you might also find the following of use.

Please keep posting

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Kimmo

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, we are really sorry that your condition is affecting your day-to-day life it must be really difficult for you. Being in pain all the time can often affect how we are feeling, and this is more than understandable.

Thank you to Peter for adding those links we hope they helped you.

It must be very confusing not getting the answer to your questions, unfortunately because we are not medically trained on the Helpline, we are unable to answer this but hopefully one of our members may be experiencing the same and may be able to help you.

Possibly asking your GP for a further scan if this hasn't already been done may give you an answer, sorry we cannot help further. Also using a support such as a walking stick etc may help you to feel a little more confident when walking.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options

I know what they mean about back spasms. That's when our backs sort of tense up horrendously to protect them form being injured more.

Mine can do this as can my neck.

However in my case and probably yours there is an underlying issue (is yours the osteoporosis maybe?).

Have you ever had an MRI so that you know exactly what is going on in there? I know getting a referral for an MRI isn't easy as they cost money, but I know I would be asking for something like that in your shoes.

Take care

Toni x

• Kimmo
    Kimmo Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thankyou for your comments, I do have Osteoporosis Toni and yes I have asked for an MRI but was told it wouldn’t show anything, all I can do now is carry on with the exercises and wait until August for a repeat dexa scan, but at the moment I don’t feel like I will ever walk properly again! There are people having to live with a lot worse (I keep telling myself ) Thankyou so much and I hope the pain in your neck and back improves soon