Working while waiting for hip operation

Options

I am just back from my OA consultation,we both agreed surgery on the right hip which is now bone on bone, is the way forward. Looking at around 6 months from now (June time maybe).

Still waiting to hear from Rheumatology as to when I can start Methotrexate, hopefully hear back soon. I've left a message on her answer machine.

My right wrist has been sore the last 6 weeks, doctor reckons it's down to PsA😥just another to add to the list.

I'm due back to work tomorrow, despatch worker in a meat factory, fast paced with lots of heavy lifting. Not looking forward to it. Needs must as I don't get paid for being off.

Is there any help out there regarding work as I'm struggling to keep up at the moment?

Kind regards

Billy

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Billy85

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, we are sorry to hear that you will need to have a hip replacement in the future along with coping with your other conditions as well.

The most important thing to do is to speak your employer before you start back to work to make them aware that you may need support when you start back to work so that you are able to continue doing your role.

The 2010 Equality act is there to make sure that people with any health condition have a defined right to have reasonable adjustments put in place to their working environment, such as.

Provide special equipment - so if you job requires you to be standing all day you could ask your employer to provide a chair for you.

Change or modify your tasks – ask your employer if there is another role that you could do in the meantime.

It also may be beneficial to ask your doctor for a referral to see an Occupational health nurse, some large companies do have a separate health department, an occupational therapist can advise on alternative methods, tools, and equipment to help with your daily activities and around work, they can also teach you how to do things differently so as not put too much strain on your joints.

You may also be able to reduce your hours of work and make up your income with claiming a benefit whilst you are waiting for the operation, we are not benefit experts, but the Citizens Advice will support you with information on this. There is also a organisation called Turn2us that has a benefit calculator on their website where you will be able to enter your details to see if you are able to make a claim.

We hope that your operation goes well for you.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• Billy85
    Billy85 Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, I will certainly look in to these things. I have been keeping my work updated with my health issues and they have been great with me so far.

Kind regards

Billy

• Denis68
    Denis68 Member Posts: 54
    Options

I would just add that sometimes the unexpected can happen, make sure you are on the short notice list with the hospital and you may be offered a cancellation earlier than you're expecting to have the op.

• Billy85
    Billy85 Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hi there @Denis68

I did make sure and ask that very question, the quicker the better 👍😀

Just been give the go ahead to start Methotrexate in 2 weeks time.

Thanks

Billy