Blue Badge

Options

Has anyone been successful obtaining a blue badge? I have been turned down on my application and l now have an appeal going through. I need to use my car for shopping, doctors etc, l also care for my brother who lives alone with chronic COPD who l shop for take to hospital and doctors appointments. The problem being l can't walk very far when l reach my destination and l can't get in and out of my car unless l can fully open the car door and we all know how difficult that can be in a standard car parking space.

Comments

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 222
    Options

Hello @john62 hope your appeal works. I think when applying or appealing it is important to put down how you feel on the bad days.

If your appeal fails, apply again.

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 80
    Options

Hi @Loggiemod

The good thing about the appeal unlike the application, you can explain in full detail how your life is affected by Arthritis and let them know about all the difficulties when it comes to driving/parking and walking. You have to wait six months if an appeal fails before you can apply again.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 532
    Options

Hi @john62

Fyi If you're unable to walk because of something like arthritic hips that you're waiting for surgery fo, you won't get a blue badge as it's deemed temporary. If it's not, make sure you put down details of your worst possible day.

Good luck

Trish

• Gadgetgirl
    Gadgetgirl Member Posts: 38
    Options

Hi. I hope you win the appeal. In my area you have to have a PIP before applying for a badge. Madness as I don’t really care for the money but having a blue badge would be a huge help. I struggle to get in and out of the car in standard spaces once someone has parked next to me. So I try and get and end space which isn’t always doable. The system is so broken it’s unreal. Some days I cannot even put the car in gear due to wrist and shoulder pain.

• john62
    Options

Hi @Trish9556 l fully explained the bad days in my appeal but l'm not at all confident of success.

Hi @Gadgetgirl you clearly have problems similar to mine with parking. Like you l don't claim any benefits l just get my pension. If they base it on whether you get a benefit or not for your dissability is madness, and to say Arthritis is temporary with the state of the current waiting list is ridiculous, by the time both of my hips have been done both of my knees will need to be done so we are talking years.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 532
    edited 8. Dec 2023, 09:47
    Options

Hi @john62

I understand your frustration that you're ineligible for a blue badge as you're waiting for surgery. I too struggle with two arthritic hips and have to sit in the car seat and move myself round to get in and out of the car with the door open and have done for over a year and I use two crutches l but I don't consider myself to have a disability and wouldn't dream of applying.

Many people on here have been refused for the same reason.

The disability has to be permanent or terminal, in receipt of DLA or PIP. I believe children with disabilities under a certain age are also excluded

If everyone waiting for surgery for arthritic conditions for a blue badge got one would they continue to use it after surgery and didn't need it any more or would they be honest and return it?

Trish

• john62
    Options

Thank you all for comments, l'm pleased to say that l have been granted a two year blue badge, it has taken some time but l got there in the end. My aim is to get back to full mobility and yes, l will surrender my blue badge at that time. First hip due 11th April 😀

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 276
    Options

Well done. It will make things a lot easier for you.

• john62
    Options

@Woofy thank you, it really does help.