From methotrexate to sulfasalazine

Options

I have had a few side effects with methotrexate and my consultant suggests I try sulfasalazine. I’m starting sulfasalazine the end of January when I see my consultant again. I’m really looking for anyone who is on the drug to let me know how they found it, any side effects, the best time to take it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m going cold turkey till end of January when I’ll be on the new drug. Hope my joints behave!😵‍💫

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@Ariana

Thank you for your posting on the forum.

I see that you are looking for information from others about taking sulfasalazine and I'm sure others will respond to your post with their experiences.

We do have information on sulfasalazine and potential side effects. It is important to consider that everyone is an individual and will respond to drugs in different ways.

Your doctor will tell you the correct dose to take and there is more information on how it is taken in the link. I have put the link to this information below.

I hope that this is helpful to you.

You may find the following pages on our website helpful: 

·      Sulfasalazine

Kind regards 

Dawn

Helpline Advisor 

• Woofy
    Woofy Member Posts: 277
    Options

Hi Ariana. Weird isn’t it. I didn’t get along with Sulfasalazine, it did nothing for me, but doing a bit better on Methotrexate.

everyone is different. Hope it works for you.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options

Hi @Ariana

Did you mean this to be posted on the main forum not helplines? I think you want to hear from us lot who have arthritis because you said "I’m really looking for anyone who is on the drug to let me know how they found it, any side effects, the best time to take it?"

Having said that Sulfa was never one of my meds so I do know much about it other than it has less side effects from what I have heard.

Has your rheumatologist not considered a depot steroid jab to keep you going until the end of January at least? O'll have everything crossed that your joints behave till then🤞

Best of luck ((()))

Toni x

• Ariana
    Ariana Member Posts: 29
    Options

Thanks Toni, I can always rely on you for some good advice. And yes, I should have posted on main forum 😵‍💫! I’m crossing my fingers my joints behave themselves till end of January 🤞🤞.

• Ariana
    Ariana Member Posts: 29
    Options

Hi Woofy, glad to hear methotrexate is doing you some good. My joints were great on methotrexate but side effects were the reason for the change. Thanks for replying, really appreciated.