Pain medication

Options

Hi, I'm new to versus arthritis,

I'm 47 i have been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis since 2021. I am currently on weekly methotrexate injections and various inflammation meds and pain killers which seem to be doing absolutely nothing lately.

I have kept really active with walking and swimming until about 2 months ago. I am really struggling with pain, tiredness and stiffness. I went to a rhuemology appointment and felt really unheard by the consultant when I tried to explain where the pain was to which he answered its a mystery and not anything to do with my rheumatoid arthritis. I booked an appointment with my GP who sent me for xrays on my wrists which showed osteoarthritis. I feel totally overwhelmed with everything and really don't know what to do next.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 1,025
    Options

Hi @lau76 and welcome to the online community,

How frustrating not to feel heard by your consultant. You don’t say how long you’ve been on your current medication, but sometimes it takes a while to find the right balance of medication, and sometimes the meds were on become less effective as the disease changes. Did your consultant ask you to have any blood tests to see whether your current meds are still working as they should? If not, it might be worth asking your Rheumatologist if this could be arranged.

Pain is one of the worst aspects of arthritis so it’s understandable that you’re feeling overwhelmed. The Versus Arthritis website has got some information on managing pain that you might like to look at. I hope it’s helpful:

Best wishes,

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• lau76
    lau76 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Anna,

I have been on methotrexate for over a year and it has recently been upped. I have monthly blood tests.

I will have a more in depth look at the website.

Thank you 😊

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 1,025
    Options

Hi @lau76 , if your methotrexate has recently been upped it sounds like your meds did need adjusting so you were quite right to go to see the consultant with your pain. It does take a while for methotrexate to take effect so hopefully it won’t be too long before you feel the benefit.

i hope you’re soon back to your walking and swimming 🚶 🏊‍♀️

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm