Can anyone help with advice?

Options

I'm 45 and yes over weight but I struggle to exercise due to pain. I have OA in both knees. I have only had xrays (year ago) done. I have had steroid injections in my right knee but they did not work. I have been prescribed loads of pain relief medication but still in pain. I have previously had physio that did not help and they have referred me back to physio. I really don't know what else I can do. I use crutches when out and about but I work full time and my knees are getting worse. Any advice on what I can do? Is it worth asking for upto date xrays? They have not ordered MRI either. Please help!!

Comments

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 199
    Options

Hi@Hanah

welcome to the site. I do know how you are feeling especially the pain which can deter you from doing any exercises. When my symptoms got worse I went back to my doctor and requested an up to date x-ray for my knee ( it had been about 18 months since my first one ).I was then referred to MSK who gave me different physio exercises which some days because of the aching/stiffness I make myself do them. They do help keep me a bit more supple but sometimes I don't think they help at all. So yes ask for an up to date x-ray and tell your Doctor how all this is affecting your everyday life ( it may help to write this down and take it with you so you don't leave anything out). I hope you get some relief soon. Please let us know how you get on.

Take care🙂

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Hanah

Thank you for posting on our Online Community, we are sorry to hear that you are in so much pain with your osteoarthritis (OA). Being in pain all the time can be difficult and can affect how we feel but hopefully you are trying to stay positive and not letting your condition overwhelm you too much, we are here whenever you need us.

If you feel that you condition has worsened, then yes, an x-ray will help, and hopefully with the results of the x-ray they will be able to determine what help is needed.

We know that exercise can be really difficult when you're in pain, but long-term it will help, you mentioned being overweight and yes, this often happens when a person has this condition because they find it difficult to exercise, unfortunately being overweight will put excess strain on your joints especially if it affects the knees. When you are wanting to self-manage Osteoarthritis it’s important to emphasise that daily exercise and healthy eating and weight control have the strongest evidence, if you would like help with losing weight, speak to your GP (and many people join a diet club).

Possibly speaking to your employer about getting help around work to see if they can offer any support for you, either changing or modifying the tasks that you do or providing any special equipment that could help and also a referral to see an Occupational therapist who could help to teach you how to put less strain on your joints and teach you how to do things differently could help.

Wishing you all the best for the future.

Best wishes

Chris (Helpline Advisor)

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options

Adding to @Fran 's advice I would take someone with me when I next see teh Dr and ask for a face to face if you can too.

Less easy to fob you off if you come mob-handed!😊

Good luck @Hanah with trying to lose weight it is tough, but possible we had a wheelchair user her lose stones. Has to be mostly diet and I think that's not easy at this time of year is it?!

Take care and do let us know how you get on.

Toni x

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@frogmorton

I remember you saying you'd put on some weight. I've put on 5lbs since my op. basically sitting around and scoffing! Now I'm back to exercising I'm going to put in the effort to lose it....after Christmas of course! Am inspired by darling anaesthetist saying I was, "Nice and slim!" I think I'm in love...;)

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options

I also love your anaesthetist!

You'll chuck 5lbs off easily in the new year.

Take care and

MERRY 🤶 CHRISTMAS

Toni x

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88
    Options

It can be difficult to exercise when in pain. I do some seated exercises which help - keeps the pressure off the knees.

I also go to Tai Chi, and some folks in the class do it sitting down. I find it really helps.

Good luck.