New PsA

Options

Hi I’m new here I’ve had PsA for years but finally started on methotrexate 18mths ago. Just been added in sulfasalazine (which is fun). im worried about whether they will make any difference I’m so fed up of the pain.

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 723
    Options

Hi @shogza

I was diagnosed with PsA 3 years ago at the age of 65 - having had psoriasis for the previous 50 years. It came on quickly - 6 weeks from a swollen knee to being unable to move my shoulders, close my hands and only able to walk with a crutch. I was initially put on sulfasalazine which didn't work then 4 months later MTX was added which also didn't work. 5 months later the biologic adalimumab was added. The combination of all 3 has worked and I'm functioning far better now. I don't need painkillers regularly now. I'd asked my rheumatologist if I could cut down my medication earlier this year and she agreed to cut the sulfasalazine from 6 to 4 tablets a day. I subsequently had a quite significant flare and the full dose of sulfasalazine was resumed. My rheumatologist describes the workings of the 3 drugs as 1+1+1>3. I think the technical term is synergistic.

I hope you find something that works soon.

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 763
    Options

Hello @shogza welcome to the online community

We are a friendly and supportive group as @jamieA 's post proves. Many of us living with different forms of arthritis share our tips and life experiences to give and receive the support of others in similar circumstances.

Living with pain can be debilitating and isolating and it can take a while for your medication to be adjusted to suit you. I attach a link to sulfasalazine for your interest, as well as one to the stretching videos. I have found gentle exercise has helped me with the pain and wonder if you give it a try it might - after a while - do the same for you.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/sulfasalazine/

There are lots of discussions and activities to look at on the community so do browse round and join in. We look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.