Awaiting hip replacement

Options

Hi, I have been on the list for a new hip, super excited!!

Although I have already been waiting a year and people keep telling me to get onto 'someone' to find out how long to expect my wait to be. Question is I don't know who I should consider contacting?

I'm 33 and have lived with arthritis in my hip my whole life. Although I don't really know any other way if living I'm desperate to get this done to enjoy a better way of living before more complications come up.

Thanks

Sara

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 398
    Options

@sarach Welcome and good to hear you're on the list - I hope you don't have to wait too long. I'm sorry to hear you've lived with arthritis in your hip your whole life. I'm older than you and have only suffered for a few years but happy to say that after having my hip replaced earlier this month I am already feeling very positive about it. The constant nagging pain has gone and I am managing the pain of surgery with paracetamol and hoping to get about a lot more comfortably soon.

I don't know if it helps but I know some people choose to go out of area for surgery if the waiting lists are shorter? I hope someone is along soon with more advice for you.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options

Find out from your GP who you have been referred to (at least which hospital) then ring the hospital ask for the secretary for that consultant and very very nicely ask them.

Always (if you can) offer to take an appt at short notice this can speed things up if someone else has to cancel their appt.

Take care

Toni x

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@sarach

Have you had an x-ray? If no, get one, if yes, might be an idea to get another as its been so long.