APIXABAN

Options

I am suffering from OSTEO arthritis basically from my neck to my feet.My problem is that I take APIXABAN for atrial fibrillation & cannot take NSAIDs.I take Paracetamol in the day & 2 x 30/500 CoCodamol at bedtime but there is very little relief from pain. 2 months ago I started taking BOSWELLIA but I have found NO improvement! Any suggestions please?

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @sucabu and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will experience that as well.

I've put some information in below from our website about pain management

but as you cannot take NSAIDs then you need to go back to your doctor and ask what else they can do.

There are a couple f free programmes which might help, but this also depends where you live and which joints are affected, but have a look at the links below and see if it is worth pursuing.

Nuffield Health

Escape Pain

I hope you find something that works for you soon.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 714
    edited 27. Dec 2023, 12:11
    Options

Hi @sucabu

I'm in the same situation as I take Edoxaban, Verapamil and Flecainide for AF and tachycardia so cannot take NSAIDs. I was referred to a pain management clinic and the consultant prescribed capsacin cream and lidocaine patches. Unfortunately it appears capsacin cream on prescription is unavailable in the UK at present. I use the lidocaine patches where necessary and they help me with my shoulder, knee and sacroiliac joint.

Just as an aside I was on Apixaban for a while but suffered really bad headaches whilst I was on it . The cardiac consultant said this was a known side effect and changed me back onto Edoxaban which causes my hands and feet to be cold.

Hope you get some relief soon.

• ChelleFox
    ChelleFox Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi @sucabu! I am also on Apixaban (clotting disorder) and I have OA in my hips. The only OTC painkiller available to me is Tylenol, and it does absolutely nothing. My doctor (in Canada) prescribed 30mgQID Cymbalta (duloxetine), and I find it helps a lot even at the starting dosage. Other non-prescription things that I find have helped immensely with the pain are active release therapy, yoga and physio prescribed exercise, and heat.