Me VS RA

Options

I am in my late 20s and I am trying to defeat RA so anyone trying to do the same please feel free to connect. Let's fight RA together

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 913
    Options

Hello @MeVSRA and welcome to the Community, I hope you enjoy your time here.

There are many on here with RA - some got it young, so hopefully they will connect with you soon to share their experiences.

Meanwhile have a look at some of the stories of young people who've lived with arthritis - there may be some good hints and tips - try the following link Young People Stories

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,733
    Options

Hi there,

Aged 15, 63 years ago, I was diagnoseed with RA. I don't see how RA can be 'defeated'. We have faulty, overactive immune systems which attack our own bodies.

BUT

I think it's very possible to live well with RA. I have done. And many others do. We just have to live sensibly (that's the hard bit!), priotitise, let go of the trivia and focus on the important bits.

Have you seen Arthur's Place? It's for young people with arthritis. Have a look. https://arthursplace.co.uk/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • EmmaLeigh278456
    Options

Hey im 25 years old I only got diagnosed 8 months ago and to be honest its been a struggle. I was a very active person playing sports 5 or even 6 times a week but when I got diagnosed all of that change I was not even aloud to run. so having the diagnosis hit me hard.the fist time I seen my consultant I was put on methotrexate and for the first couple of weeks I thought it wasn't working but gradually I held on and I was able to get out of bed a lot better I was getting less and less fleer ups. Dont get me wrong it still a struggle every day not being able to get on the field with my team mates but im back in the gym doing close looped exercises so still no running or jumping but im pushing through. I am going my work colleagues on a marathon walk in the next few weeks and it maybe a struggle ,I may have to take short breaks and I may have to spend the next day in bed but im not letting it beat me down. hopefully next year I will be running maybe not a marathon but 5 or 10 k.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 1,025
    edited 25. Jun 2024, 19:54
    Options

Hi @EmmaLeigh278456

Good to see you that you’ve joined the online community - I hope you find others to chat to and give you support. It’s really great to see how you’ve worked out how to manage your life so that you can still do the things you enjoy. Keep going! There’s a useful page on walking and running tips that you might like to have a look at from the Versus Arthritis website. Here’s the link:

A few other young people have recently joined the community - @MeVSRA , @rosiematthews837 @catohara95 and I’m sure there are others - perhaps you could share experiences?

Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm