Crutches

Options

Hi

I know everyone is different and a lot of the answer will come from listening to my body. However, as I received no specific guidelines and neglected to ask!

At what stage have those having full hip replacement been able/chosen to go from two crutches to one and then to none?

Thanks

Comments

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 364
    Options

@Denis68 - I wasn't told and didn't think to ask either, but have started to use one stick around the house. I think I'm a couple of days ahead of you and after being home a couple of days I found I could do a lot more around the house with one hand free, such as taking a drink to sit down comfortably rather than drinking it in the kitchen.

Actually for the last two or three days I have found if I'm preparing food in the kitchen I often do it without sticks although I've always work surfaces to steady myself on. Occasionally I have wandered out of the kitchen without sticks too and am finding my balance not too bad. I am mainly going for short walks outside each day if it's not slippy and wet and I do use two sticks then.

How are you doing?

• Denis68
    Denis68 Member Posts: 54
    Options

Thanks @Janlyn

I'm similar in being able to stand in the kitchen for short periods without support and do find myself moving around the bathroom without using a crutch.

I agree it's much easier to do some things with a free hand and have got on ok with just one crutch. I have taken a couple of walks outside but not enough to feel confident or comfortable at trying on one crutch yet.

In general I'm doing ok. My leg and foot do swell up, particularly if I don't spend time with my leg raised, or at least level with my hip and I have some aches and pains. However, I know all of this will go and am pleased with the progress I'm seeing/ feeling

• Janlyn
    Options

@Denis68

It's good to hear you are pleased with the progress you are seeing/feeling. I am pleased with my progress too, I feel very lucky.

I went for my wound check today and the nurse removed my dressing and said she was happy with it. I've swelling and bruising and apparently a 'hard' bit towards the top of my scar but she said all was normal, and will improve. I am now allowed to shower carefully. I mentioned the sticks and she said absolutely okay to not use them around the house if I felt safe but to make sure I use them outside. She said even if I felt steady outside until I've improved more it will help to protect me from other people and allow them to realise and be careful around me. All sound advice.

I admit I am nervous outside, particularly as it is so wet, windy and slippy.

• Denis68
    Options

Thanks @Janlyn

Good to hear you are progressing well. It completely makes sense what your nurse said about sticks/crutches being a protection from other people outside. I will make a note to myself to remember that.

Cheers

• Chris1
    Chris1 Member Posts: 40
    Options

I use both crutches outside I feel more confident. Its a good point about other people. Indoors I sometimes use one but mostly none.

Take care xx

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@Denise68

I think it's all about what you feel confident about doing. We are all so different and went into the op. different ages, different levels of fitness and so on.

Listen to your body, as they say1

• swimmer60
    edited 31. Dec 2023, 07:29
    Options

PS Take care!

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

Hi all

Can I just note that when going from two crutches to one, you must discard the opposite one to your operated leg and not the one on the same side.

My old physio told me off for using the wrong one.

Not sure why but expect an internet search will have the answer.

Trish

• Janlyn
    Options

@Trish9556 I was actually told exactly the opposite - that I should be using a stick on my good side, not my operated side. I am talking about sticks and not crutches though - maybe that's the difference?

@swimmer60 a good point to remember - that we are all different and went into surgery in different conditions and must listen to our bodies.

Take care everyone, x

• Denis68
    Options

Just did a quick internet search and the NHS have the following:

Walking with one crutch

Use the crutch in the hand opposite the injured limb. Place the crutch and injured leg forward Support your body weight through the arm and bring the uninjured leg forward, stepping right through, past the injured leg. Continue walking keeping the crutch in line with the injured leg.13 Feb 2023

• swimmer60
    Options

@Denise68

I wasn't given any crutch advise. I was encouraged to get strong and confident without any crutches, as quickly as possible. I've talked before about the different advice on offer.

In fact my left leg was operated on and i find, being right handed, i used my crutch in my right hand.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 529
    Options

Apologies - I didn't proof read my post about discarding crutches properly - too high on antibiotics for bronchiecstasis.

You should discard the crutch for the bad leg when moving to one crutch, not as in my post.

apologies for my tardiness.

Trish

• Denis68
    Options

Thanks for the responses folks

@swimmer60 I agree it makes sense for me to work towards being crutch free as soon as possible, particularly as I didn't need walking aids pre Op

@Trish9556 no worries, the number of dodgy messages I've sent over the past couple of weeks, especially immediately post Op, I think I need a permanent proof reader 🙂

In the end I tried both ways and went with what felt right, then thought about checking the NHS!! Which goes to show I'm not thinking that clearly yet.