New person

Options

I am new to this group so am unsure how it works. I have stage 4 osteoarthritis in both knees which I am told can only be fixed by surgical intervention both total due to problems with both kneecaps. I am now getting problems with my right hip too probably because of my terrible walking pattern. I also have bulging discs in every lumbar vertebrae. My question is- how do people cope with the pain? It takes me all my time to just put one foot in front of the other. I take regular paracetamol, tramadol and gapapentin. Any advice welcome. 😊

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @machine06 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I've put a couple of links in below to information on our website which might be of interest to you, but other than that people will most likely join in your discussion, or you can create a new one, as you have already done.

and

I hope you find something that helps.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• machine06
    machine06 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options

We manage exactly like you - one foot in front of the other. Coping on a daily basis.

Are you on 'the list' I wonder for your knees?

It's very likely that your hip is hurting because of your gait, but until your knees are sorted it will be difficult to improve the pain.

Like many here I do do exercise whatever I can daily as little or as much as I can on any given day. It does help it really does.

Are you seeing a physio (I think the latest title is musculoskeletal) at least?

Keep posting chatting does really help.

Take care

Toni

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 406
    edited 2. Jan 2024, 20:33
    Options

@machine06 I seem to have only a mild condition which means being free to experiment a little with taking or not taking the painkillers. For a long time I counted the pain as normal, until I realised I was missing some doses, and it made a difference. On a full and regular dose, with not too much activity, I am finding there is no pain.

• BrendaR
    BrendaR Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi, I’m new here. I’ve just begun to get hip pain, which I guess is arthritis starting. I. Going to start a programme at the gym, but wonder if people find gym sessions help with the pain

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 364
    Options

@BrendaR Welcome and can I suggest you get your hip checked out properly if you haven't done already? Exercise is usually the first choice along with appropriate painkillers and I was put on an Escape Pain course at my local medical practice which was very useful.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 979
    Options

Hi @BrendaR and welcome to the online community,

I echo what @Janlyn said about getting your hip pain checked out. Gentle exercise can help with the pain as well as help build up your muscle strength. There are some good exercise suggestions on the Versus Arthritis website below:

Best wishes, Anna ( Moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm