Update on attendance allowance and Hips

Options

I took 2 months to complete the form because I had appointments and I don't like forms so possibly procrastinated getting it done. I put a lot of details in the extra pages such as the physio insisting I went back to see a GP and ask for another ex-ray.

I ended up having one the same day and she gave me a prescription for the higher dose codeine and referred me to the Orthopaedic team.

Another GP called me two weeks later and said there was no significant change since the last ex-ray but that was because it was already very bad in the first ones I had. He gave the hospital a push for an appointment as I hadn't heard anything.

I met a consultant in October and he hadn't received the ex-ray, I ended up chasing it up at the surgery at least four weeks later.

All this went on the form and four weeks later I had a letter to say I would be getting AA and it was in the bank when I checked. First thing I did was order a rollator and some grabbers.

I had a telephone appointment with the consultant shortly after and he discussed full hip replacements as there was nothing else that could be done to improve things. He would do the most painful first then when that healed over he will do the other. I didn't expect to hear anything else for quite a while but shortly after I had a pre-op booked for mid January and the operation on 1st of Feb. I can only conclude that it was considered urgent to get it done.

It has taken a few months of self talk to get to the stage of accepting it must be done. I am getting crunching in my left hip all the time now so just to have that gone will be a blessing.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,637
    Options

Good morning @alwayssewing

Well done finally completing your AA forms. They are a real ordeal for a lot of people, but you did yours and were successful. Excellent first buys with the extra income too.

Being that little bit persistent has certainly paid off for you which means your surgery is very soon now. It will all feel very real when you have your pre-op in January.

I hope you'll keep in touch with us and let us know how your surgery goes?

Have you also been reading this thread by @Janlyn ?

My very best wishes

Ellen.

• Janlyn
    Janlyn Member Posts: 388
    Options

@alwayssewing

The 1st February will be here before you know it. I'm only just over two weeks post hip replacement but am really noticing when I walk there is no crunching. It's a wonderful feeling and I hope will be the same for you soon.

Take care, x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,474
    Options

Well done you @alwayssewing your perseverance has paid off - these days we do need to be our own advocates I think.

I have been reading @Janlyn 's thread regularly only commenting rarely though. Those members are just great it will really help you to join them I think now that you are so close to your surgery.

Wishing you lots of luck and hope you'll let us know how things are going

Toni x