Arthroscopy and osteoarthritis

Options

Hello everyone, I'm new to all this but am so desperate to talk to people who understand. I have osteoarthritis in both knees but my right knee has been the worse. I recently had an arthroscopy due to my knee being completely fused to my shin bone absolute agony unable to walk without crutches. I was like this for 14 weeks until the surgery. During the surgery they cut away/repaired damaged Cartilage, shaved the bone and drilled up in to the bone to encourage new cartilage to grow they also removed large bodies.

I am now a little more mobile but the swelling and pain are still there I can't sleep and am unable to go to work , which is in a school. I haven't been back to work since September and am really stressed that my recovery is taking too long. Has anyone else been through this.? My consultant has reassured me and said it can take several months but I feel I am letting everybody down part of me just doesn't feel I can go on like this.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,015
    Options

Hello @jlowe54 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

Good to hear that you are progressing following your surgery and recovery can be different for different people so hang in there. If you have any doubts I would go back to your GP/Consultant.

Hopefully others will connect with you and share their support and experiences.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options

There's no reason to feel you are to blame for not being able to return to work. There's no rushing recovery from operations. In fact, if we try, we can just make things worse.

Take whatever time you need to get right. Here's what the NHS says about recovery from arthroscopy. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/arthroscopy/recovery/#:~:text=Recovering%20from%20an%20arthroscopy,period%20than%20a%20wrist%20arthroscopy

My advice (I've had two THRs and three TKRs) is just do the prescribed exercises, eat sensibly and concentrate on what you can do not what you can't. It will come good.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options

I think you are doing really well to be honest. You have had major surgery @jlowe54 and may be being a bit hard on yourself.

Knee surgery is really tough to recover from. Listen to @stickywicket she knows!

Take it steady as someone here once said it's a marathon not a sprint (well something like that anyway😳).

Toni x